1983 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1983 Toyota Corolla CS 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2002

Summary:

Still going, best first car you will come across

Whats wrong wrong with the car? Nothing y the end of this weekend. The car has a rusty rear left door and a little around the boot and rear fenders, but its due for the final paint touch up if the weather holds up.

The seats are a bit hard, but they soften up with some seat covers.

Steering is VERY heavy, but I can't say I've driven many other cars without power steering.

It has some guts, but I seem to be flooring it a lot to keep up with the traffic resulting in large fuel consumption.

The sun visor has been disposed of and replaced.

The carpet has ripped and coming out the sides of the floor and front door meeting points.

Sits very high from the ground, not good for those quick cornering situations.

General Comments:

The paint work, even when unwashed, is still glossy with relatively solid sides and bumpers.

The interior is perfect not a crack in the dash or split in the seats.

Nice little idea of the radio molded into the dash though to keep up with todays trend a CD player was added and new rear speakers (front ones were removed after the blew).

In 19 years this little beast is still running well with no modifications and the 1.3l gives a bit of grunt considering the cars weight to engine size ratio.

Review Date: 9th August, 2002

13th Aug 2002, 05:32

I'd have to agree. I have an 83 Toyota corolla, rear wheel drive as well, fun in the wet.

It's a little work horse, just keeps going and going.

Although rust is a bit of a problem in my car as well, I can't complain, it would probably keep going and going if I didn't take it drifting in the wet and off-road rallying.

To tell you the truth I'd say it probably will last.

7th Nov 2009, 19:52

I have a Toyota Corolla 83 CS as well, best little car ever I have to say.. Needs a new battery, but that's alright.

I don't have any issues with paint, dust is the only problem I have. When we got it, we thought it was yellow until we washed it; turns out it's white.

I am going to replace the radio because it hardly works any more. About the only station I can get is 2CA :/ LOL

Anyway, I recommend this car for anyone, whether it be a first car, a car to take to work, a paddock basher, or just a car for fun; it will serve you well. :)

8th Nov 2009, 14:41

My friend has an '83 Corolla that he bought new as his first car. He still has it, and he drives across the country twice a year, with all that driving, he now has over 600,000 miles. All the parts are original. I don't think it's ever gonna die!

1983 Toyota Corolla Liftback 1.3 from Germany

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership1999
Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

Solid. Very solid. And very ugly

Even though the car was 12 years old when I bought it for next to nothing, I can't remember replacing anything but oil and brakes and such (not even regularly).

Two years ago the mechanism for opening the windows crumbled away and hence I was unable to open the right window.

The seats are poor quality.

The rear door is VERY rusty.

General Comments:

Pros: I've always had very old cars, that I usually had to throw away after two years. This one was different: It just kept going. The most reliable car I've seen so far.

Cons: Consumes quite some fuel. And it is very, very ugly.

Review Date: 8th September, 2000