1986 Toyota Corolla FX GT 1.6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I would definitely get another one

Blew the head in Rotorua coming from Tauranga.

There was no A/C in it.

The hinges for the doors rusted out.

Wheel alignment was out.

The engine had a major oil leak.

The intake pipe had been split.

The seat springs had no bounce in them.

The exhaust system was well over the legal limit (102db).

General Comments:

Even though this car had so many problems, I managed to fix it on the cheap.

I had the same model car with spare parts, which was quite handy. After fixing the Rolla, it went like a sand storm; so much fun, picked up speed well. It was light, so it definitely had a bit of power to weight ratio.

Fun car to drive, good for first car, and not for nanna's either.

But now that I've crashed it, I've got to start again.

Review Date: 14th December, 2009

14th Dec 2009, 19:49

Good ol Toyota 4age. I had a Toyota FX GT, but the later model ones. Nice car to drive, good power to weight, brakes good, and goes hard all the way to 9000rpm. I gave it so much abuse that nothing broke on it. I was going through front tyres faster than anything else.

1986 Toyota Corolla Sun 1.3 from Norway

Summary:

Happy to have it as my student car!

The starter went dead when I almost slipped off the road. Had to get a new one. The sudden stop might have caused that.

There is some problem with the coolant. I think the reservoir might be broken.

The left front light has a loose contact.

When driving log distances, the battery warning light may start to shine. Some contact spray on the cable connections from the dynamo work for another 100 km or something like that. Never happens on short drives.

General Comments:

Cheap and does the job.

In addition, one learns how a car works and how to fix minor issues.

Review Date: 1st December, 2009

1986 Toyota Corolla Seca from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very reliable car, bullet proof

Cracked radiator from hitting a bin.

Overheated because of no water in the radiator.

General Comments:

I bought this car for $200 to take to my farm and thrash. I drove it nearly every weekend flat out, only ever needed to top up the oil once.

Very good on petrol.

Cracked the radiator by hitting a garbage bin at 120km/h, but put in another radiator from a Ford Falcon Ute and it ran the same.

Only time it overheated is when there was no water in the radiator.

It finally stopped driving when I jumped it and the front spring snapped, but it still ran so we but a rock on the accelerator and put it in neutral, and that's how it finally died.

Review Date: 18th October, 2008

1986 Toyota Corolla CSX 1.6 carb from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

So far it cannot be destroyed. I have tried!!

In nearly 4 years the only thing that had gone wrong with the car (other than tyres and rego) is one front of the suspension broke. I was not even aware till I had it in the shop getting new tyres put on, and when they took the wheel off, the strut just fell out!! It still drove fine!!

General Comments:

Engine / gearbox / clutch has never been touched. I have had 4 turbo cars since I have owned this car (I use it for daily run about to work).

And I have given this car HELL sometimes trying to thrash it to the point that it will blow up, but it does not.

I only paid $475 for it, and it has been the best car I have ever owned... other than it looks terrible and the colour is bad, and it is scratched... but it just runs so well, and has never given me one problem.

Review Date: 6th October, 2008

1986 Toyota Corolla DX 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Tough

General maintenance done as infrequently as possible, still ran like a top.

Valve cover gasket replaced.

CV boots replaced.

Not much else.

General Comments:

The little econobox that could. Second-hand car from my dad who owned it since new. Taught at least 5 people to drive stick with one clutch replacement in its life. Would go 100mph in fourth gear (but not fifth), do E-brake slides, and gave a level of handling confidence that encouraged the driver to put into hill sides with reckless abandon. I would often run things over for fun. Things like park benches, cones, trash cans, things it had no right to be able to crush. Ah, the folly of youth. And it still ran just as well as when it only had 100,000 miles and took my siblings and I to school safely and reliably everyday. Was convinced this car would never die until someone pulled an illegal u-turn in front of me and put a end to its proud career.

I bought another one.