1994 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8L from North America

Summary:

Excellent compact sedan

Tires had to be replaced, not a fault with the car, but the previous owner.

Driver's side handle is broken on the inside and is somewhat difficult to open. All the door handles are cracked on the inside.

Installed a new radio, and now half the interior lights don't work, though I think the adapter is the issue.

Headlights have yellowed, but still shine bright.

Glove box is beyond useless. The way it's shaped cuts about 1/3 of the usable volume out for no evident reason. It's a pain to fit anything in there.

Trunk won't open with my key, not sure why.

General Comments:

After I had my 1989 Corolla (the review for that is on here) with a 3 speed automatic, I traded it for this one, with a 5 speed manual.

This car is excellent. Easy on gas, has performance when I need it with the 1.8L engine. Reasonably comfortable, though I feel a little low compared to my last one.

I haven't had it too long yet, but it seems like it's a great car.

Review Date: 29th January, 2015

1994 Toyota Corolla SEG 1.6 from Malaysia

Summary:

Mini Lexus

CV joints noisy - replaced.

General Comments:

Bought this one owner 16 year old car in 2009 with just 36K km, in original silver paintwork.

Given its very low mileage, the car was mechanically in excellent condition.

As a preventive measure, the timing belt, engine mounting and hoses were replaced.

Other than these, tyres and batteries, the car has been very reliable and a real joy to drive.

The peppy and torquey 1.6 4A-FE engine is also very smooth and economical. 10km/litre in short-run town use, but improves to 14.5km/litre on inter-state runs at 120km/hr. 100km/hr at 2,200 RPM confers refinement unusual for a small C segment car like this. Pulls away easily even with 5 on-board.

The suspension is somewhat soft, but otherwise comfortable with 14 inch steel rims. With Michelin XM1 rubbers, the ride is extremely quiet.

Build quality is exceptional, even if the materials used do not seem expensive. The fabric, dashboard etc feel solid and well made. They don't call this the mini-Lexus for nothing.

For good reason, Australia continued offering this particular AE101 model right through to 1999 when other markets switched to the AE111 in 1996. I have driven the latter model, which surprisingly is an inferior model with lighter body panels and poorer driving dynamics.

I would buy another one new if they still made this.

Review Date: 26th June, 2013

1994 Toyota Corolla RV 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great 1st car, goes hard

Air con tube disconnected. Had to have it re-gassed.

Rear hatch doesn't open unless the tab is pulled the same time you open the boot. Getting into the back is a two person job.

Sometimes when I lock the car, it continues to lock over and over. I can stop this by locking the passenger side door from the inside, but this hardly happens.

General Comments:

Pretty much best P plater car out!

It's powerful, and owns all my mate's cars.

It has GREAT suspension and top braking (four wheel disks). It is unbreakable.

I am a massive rev head, and getting it sideways is easy.

I've put on a sports pipe, which makes it sound as hard as it goes.

I would keep this car forever if it was rear wheel drive.

With some small mods, such as rims or lower springs, it looks mean and no longer like a grandma's car.

It never gets hot. I would race my old Corolla (same model) on a race track for 4 hours straight, and it never moved from halfway. The old car didn't fail, the driver did (LOL).

Great on fuel. It gets 400km a tank for me. But if driven carefully, it could get 500km.

The seats are a tad high for my liking, but can be adjusted endlessly. It has power windows in the front. Sorta seems funny not to power the rear ones too.

The backseats aren't the best for big friends, and the rear seatbelts are always jerky.

Great storage. I go camping in mine, I remove the rear seat and fold down the back, and it is (relatively) flat. Fits a double mattress like it was built to.

Love the car.