2011 Toyota Corolla LE from North America

Summary:

The worst car I have ever driven!

It just died on the road on the 6th day!

General Comments:

I am not sure if I'm eligible for a review, as I did not own this car. I was on 2-week job trip, and the Corolla was rented from Hertz by my employer.

From the 1st minute I picked the car, I was trying to set the seat in a comfortable position! Also, I had lots of trouble with control of the car at any speed more than a walking man. I am not biased to any brand, and for sure am not comparing a Corolla with my S60, which is in another class. This car was like a huge truck - with broken wooden stools installed for seats - running on 4 flat tires all the time!

Finally on a Saturday noon, the car just died on the road and I had to call Hertz when I could not start it again; they said a driver would bring me another car, and I just begged them "anything but a Corolla please". I got a Mazda 3, which was really a nice car instead.

On the last day I asked the lady at the counter about the problem with that Corolla; she was not sure, but she mentioned it was the first time she had heard of a Corolla dying on the road. She however added many of the renters complain about the handling of new Corollas.

My take is that if you are not a Toyota fan, there are lots of better choices out there. Personally I am thinking about the Mazda, or an Elantra for my wife this summer.

Review Date: 7th March, 2012

8th Mar 2012, 08:45

You can put a review of a rented car on here. I have done that.

8th Mar 2012, 12:04

The over-rated Corolla has been panned (and rated dead last) by every car magazine doing a comparison test of small cars. These cars sell only due to millions in ad hype and a clueless buying public. The highest ratings by Car and Driver and Motor Trend go to the Hyundai Elantra and the Ford Focus. My friends who own late model Corollas are not happy with them, and won't be buying another one.

8th Mar 2012, 14:45

Maybe I got a good one! '09 LE, bought new in '08, traded at 128K = not a problem, lots of passengers who commented on its comfort, etc. Nothing of the sort noted here. Traded for more of the same... and I'm NOT into S&M!

9th Mar 2012, 09:06

... and here we go again with the exact same "overated" comments...

10th Mar 2012, 11:16

My family has owned Toyotas. To say they are in any way better than a domestic would be an exaggeration. Although the Toyotas were good cars, they certainly were no better than any of our domestics.

2011 Toyota Corolla 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Don't buy one

Speed sensitive stereo broken.

Around the 40km/h mark, the stereo will go very loud and then reduce the level for no apparent reason. If you adjust the stereo to a decent volume as you go faster, it gets louder, to the point where it is painful, you then adjust the volume to a normal level, and then if you happen to slow down or stop, it resets itself to a very low level, and you have to turn it up to continue to hear, so when you take off, you are deafened again.

General Comments:

Transmission is awful. If you put your foot down, there is a marked pause before the engine revs, and then after a few seconds, the gearbox will drop a gear and you will accelerate all the time with the engine revving very high.

Seating position is bad, not enough adjustments on the seat to get comfortable.

Leg room for your left leg is woeful.

Cabin - plastic death - so much plastic, and a cheap, cheap feel to everything.

Uses a lot of fuel for what should be quite an economical car.

Review Date: 26th September, 2011

27th Sep 2011, 12:32

I think Toyota quality has slipped from what it used to be. I have a 2005 Corolla that I am very unhappy with. Only 90K miles, and the automatic transmission is going out. This is UNACCEPTABLE. Maybe I got a bad one, but I am soured on Toyota at this point.