* Timing gear went twice since I got the car. Approx $150.
* Engine head gasket seal replaced, $8.
* Radiator leaked replaced for brand new - $240.
* Rear differential replaced at 227,750 (due worn bearings & pinion), replaced from a 152,000 towbar-less Corona, $125.
* Distributor needed an overhaul.
* Re-gassed the air conditioner, $65.
* Swapped over from a 4 speed manual to a 5 speed manual, $225.
* Rear suspension & shockers.
* Overhauled the brake system (re-lining).
* General stuff needed replacing ie. spark plugs, spark plugs leads, alternator belts, tyres, gearbox oil, engine oil, rear differential oil etc.
Got this Toyota Corona XT130 late model sedan from a old man as my "first car", it can be a good car if you had 5 speed manual, can do 50 litres for 500 - 600 k's on the highway. I know it drinks a lot compared to my mate's Holden Camira JE which can do 800 for 50 litres on the highway.. I mainly use that car for highway use.
I added a tachometer and middle side thing with radio tape storage where the handbrake is etc..
It can be gutless on hills, but okay for overtaking on long available lanes, reached 155 km/h on straight country roads in Victoria (but had to slow down due to a hill that came up, as you never knew if there was a Police car on other side of the hill). Will TRY one more time see if I can reach 175 or 180kmh.
Handling - for cornering is okay, if you had a stabiliser bar, it does well, but not the best cornering car I've been in, Slow down when you drive on wet road, don't accelerate the car hard if the road is wet as one of the rear wheels will spin.
The car can do 2800 RPM on the highway at 100kmh on the dot. -> Could have put on a VK Commodore's gearbox as it will drop the RPM on the car.
Replaced the differential last week as there was "whine" noise coming out of it...
Replaced the contact points yesterday as the car was kind of "stalling" while I was driving on the freeway, only cost me $9.
Gearbox needs overhaul as there is high pitch whining noise.
This car is a great car, that goes on and on and on.. used Opimax fuel (high octane) a few times.. but doesn't change for the power mass.
The next car I would like to try out will be an economical car ie. Holden JD or JE Camira.