1985 Toyota Corona Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1985 Toyota Corona GX 1.5 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1985
Engine and transmission 1.5 petrol Manual
Previous carToyota Corona

Summary:

Reliable and cheap to run

One window fell out as the bracket was rusted.

Slight oil leak.

Boot leaks.

Interior fan stopped working.

General Comments:

Incredibly reliable and cheap to run, but quite slow due to being a heavy car with a small engine.

It has lasted me four years and it has not broken down, and only once has it been to a garage to get work done (window).

Review Date: 10th December, 2007

9th Jan 2010, 00:06

Hey.

I have recently purchased myself a 1985 Toyota Corona 1.5L GX.

I have had a similar problem with a leaky boot through top left-hand corner of the back windscreen, and also my left passenger window decides to fall out whenever I wind it down.

I can agree that it does lack in the power side of things; 0 - 100 in around 25 seconds for me.

Other than those minor set backs, I find it a reliable car and it's very easy to drive.

1985 Toyota Corona ST141 2.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1985

Summary:

Well worth the $1000AUS I paid for the car, and not regretting it

All the problem are pretty minor:

Windows would not stay wound up (rusted). Replaced with a pair from the wreckers dirt cheap.

Alternator was replaced. $50AUS from the wreckers.

Battery was replaced.

A fuse is often blown when I put the car into reverse. I think it has something to do with the wiring for the reverse light. Not a big problem. I just keep replacing the fuse when this happens.

Car burns a lot of oil. Haven't bothered to fix this problem. I just top it up every month or so.

Shock absorbers need replacing.

L/R hand steering is playing up. Drifts a bit to the left.

Just recently the headlights would turn off for no reason and the high beam indicator would light up on the dashboard (but the actual high beam doesn't come on). Turning the lights off then back on fixes the problem. I have no idea what the cause of this is.

General Comments:

Fuel is pretty economical when the car isn't abused. Uses about 9L of fuel per 100km.

Takes off really well.

No overheating problems. Have never had to fill radiator with water.

Drives really smoothly.

Review Date: 13th June, 2005

1985 Toyota Corona from Australia and New Zealand

Distance when acquired197000 kilometres
Most recent distance202000 kilometres
Previous carHyundai Excel

Summary:

The unkillable bargain

Drivers side seat broke, but I support it with a plastic garden pot in the back seat.

The radiator needs filling fairly often.

It is heavy on juice.

Sometimes I have to hit the starter motor with whatever is handy preferably a hammer.

The automatic gets stuck in second sometimes so I pull over and then take off again and that fixes it.

General Comments:

This car is seriously unkillable.

The speedo was turned back when I bought it. I suspect this car has done at least 500,000kms (so does my mechanic).

I don't pay RACV any more as I know this car will always start I get her serviced every six months that costs $120.00 a pop.

I seriously love this car, it is the most reliable car sometimes I cane it and it doesn't mind, sometimes I forget to put oil in it and it doesn't mind, sometimes I forget to put water in it and it doesn't mind.

I know the time is coming and I will have to get rid of it because its probably not roadworthy due to the oil leaks, but I must admit I am in no hurry.

Review Date: 26th January, 2004

12th Apr 2005, 04:06

Hi there! I myself own a Toyota Corona (a 1986) model and you mentioned that it runs very heavy on juice (i.e. radiator fluid). I couldn't agree with you more! How often do you have to re-fill your radiator fluid tank as I might like to use it as a guide? Cheers.

Thang (Tang)

12th Jun 2005, 06:12

Heavy on radiator fluid? I own a 1984 CS and I have never had to refill the radiator or overflow tank. The engine runs very cool also, temp gauge is almost at the bottom of the scale. It is quite good on oil consumption also, rarely have to fill it betwen services.