2002 Toyota Landcruiser Reviews

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 4.7 liter V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

The ultimate 4x4

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I have exchanged all drivetrain fluids including AT, differential and Transfer case to synthetic. I don't care what anyone says it makes a big big difference in performance and smoothness.

General Comments:

This Landcruiser is a tank. It is slow off the line, but cruises at highway speeds with ease and has a great smooth ride. It can be noisy as you can hear the whine from the transfer case under load, but the ride itself really is very luxurious. Great for going out on the town and for hauling a buncha kids to the mall or movies. Very versatile. The only complaint I have is that in certain types of snow and ice the ABS is way to sensitive and affects stopping ability. Going in snow is not an issue.

Review Date: 25th March, 2006

2002 Toyota Landcruiser HZJ 79 4.2 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 4.2 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carNissan Patrol

Summary:

Leave this car in the junk yard where it belongs!!!

On the way home the day I bought the car I hit a small kangaroo and put a huge dent in the bull bar.

I needed a new clutch after 10 000 km.

One of the headlight bulbs blew a week after I got the car.

The sump was leaking oil after 20 000 km.

It couldn't get out of fourth gear pulling a 2 horse float with a strong tail wind.

The fuel pump stopped working six months after I bought the car.

General Comments:

I have had continuous trouble with the car since the day I purchased it.

It didn't have the power I expected a turbo to have, and struggles pulling dead cattle.

I would never buy a Toyota again.

It just doesn't perform like my Nissan used to.

Review Date: 10th August, 2003

4th Sep 2003, 14:18

Certainly you must be referring to a Landrover, not a Landcruiser. I think you may be overexaggerating your faults with the Landcruiser. These are tremendous vehicles, perhaps you did get a one off lemon.

29th Sep 2003, 13:36

I find it extremely hard to believe that anybody is capable of wrecking the clutch of a HZJ 79 within 10.000 kilometers, or come up with a leaking sump within 20.000. As an active member of the Land cruiser Club of the Netherlands (technical advice committee for the last eight years) I have -quite literally- seen thousands of Landcruisers over the years, inside and out.

There are a lot of things you can damage, even on a Land- cruiser, if you really put your mind to it. However, if you are a halfway normal driver, this clutch story is just not possible. Period.