2003 Toyota Prius 10ème anniversaire HSD from France

Summary:

Impressive car for the money

Nothing.

General Comments:

Amazing car for the money: I paid only €10.200 for mine at a Toyota dealership with full service and full warranty when it was 5 years old and had less than 65.000 km.

Nothing has gone wrong, and given Toyota's reputation for reliability, I hope it will go on like this. Service at "my" official dealership is quite inexpensive and excellent.

I've had to replace the front brake pads at 145.000 km and the complete rear brakes at 155.000 km. I have a set of winter tires, but other than that, I've only had to pay for service.

I waited years before buying this car and spent hours researching it, and I'm not disappointed.

Sure, the gearbox can be annoying at time, allowing the motor to rev up and not really converting that into movement, but most of the time, it's so relaxing that it doesn't matter. The seats are not the best for long trips (give me Volvo seats anytime!) but they're adequate, and the car feels quite spacious for its size.

It's also very well equipped for the price, although some features are pretty useless: self-parking is too slow, voice recognition, well, does not recognize much and the audio system is below average.

I've traveled a lot with this car, I've even slept in it (with the seats folded, the cargo area is long enough for my 1.85 m) and for the first time I don't know what car to buy to replace it (that is, as an economical, reliable family car, otherwise I have plenty of ideas...) ! So I hope it will live up to Toyota's reputation of reliability and has many more kilometers ahead of it.

Too bad it's such a dull car to drive...

Review Date: 3rd April, 2016

2003 Toyota Prius 1.5 hybrid from Dominican Republic

Summary:

Don't buy used, buy new one and sale it before break down

Inverter at 75k.

Inverter pump at 130k.

Shock absorber at 100k.

A/C evaporator / condenser at 90K.

HV battery at 140k.

General Comments:

Don't buy it used, you will deeply regret it. Because parts are expensive, all you save from gas will be spent on expensive parts ($1k for inverter, $2200 for HV battery). If you really want gas economy, buy a Yaris, which is the same body with a conventional engine, and the mileage difference on the highway is almost the same. Don't trust the manufacturer's mileage claim, or other claims; at freeway speed, the Prius hybrid tech won't have an advantage as the engine doesn't shutdown at all.

And if you live other countries other than the USA, Canada, Japan or Europe, no dealer will stock Prius parts, so you have to wait for a long time for a simple part.

Review Date: 1st August, 2015

2nd Aug 2015, 20:43

If you waited until 140k to replace the battery, then any fuel benefits you were getting were long gone.

That said, it could be worse. You could be driving a GM car that is rated for half the mileage and gets half of what it's rated for, and be replacing all of your struts and wheel bearings before the car hits 40k. And that is if you are lucky!

3rd Aug 2015, 21:09

Owning dozens of GM cars beyond 100,000 miles, and only 1 required a wheel bearing. Struts? Not a one.

2003 Toyota Prius T-Spirit 1.5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheap to own green technology

Nothing, it has been faultless.

General Comments:

Vehicle bought after previous Land Rover Freelander became too expensive to run, have been impressed with its overall lack of cost to own. Depreciation has been minimal, servicing costs minimal so far (enough support online to service this car yourself quite comfortably).

My wife drives it about 2 miles to work each day (so four miles return journey) and we never get less than 42 miles to the gallon, may not sound a lot but the Landrover achieved about 18 MPG (and that was a diesel!) due to the short journeys.

When we take it on holiday, I achieve 55-60MPG on a motorway run, fully loaded with the family & luggage. Also road tax at £15, makes my day when the annual reminder comes through.. the Landrover would be £400 when the latest raft of changes come through..

Fears of battery degradation appear unfounded, I can still do 28MPH for about 1 1/2 miles on a full charge (once rolling that is!) Our vehicle is one of the original press fleet from the release of the NHW20 model, and so far has proved the most fascinating car to own, the technology still amazes me now after 2 years.

Review Date: 12th January, 2009