2005 Toyota Prius Base 1.5 from North America

Summary:

Very nice till the battery pack goes out

I bought the car in 2010 with only 24,000 miles.

The heater started leaking water in 2012.

In August 2014 the car suddenly stalled and had to be towed. The problem was it needed a whole new battery pack.

Yes, it was nice getting 42 MPG, but all my savings were quickly deleted by being forced to pay $6,100 for a new battery pack.

My sister is still driving my old 1998 Nissan Altima that I gave to her in 2010. The Nissan has 180,000 miles and no real issues.

I will never buy another Prius. Sure it was nice getting 42 MPG, but I'd have saved money by getting 27 MPG in a non-hybrid.

General Comments:

The long term economics don't add up with a $6,100 battery pack.

Three other Prius owners were paying for new battery packs while mine was being repaired.

The car drives good and I was sure on a high horse till the $6,100 bill came in my face.

I was emotionally crushed and didn't really have the money. The whole reason I bought the car was because I took a new job, and was going to have to drive a lot of miles and needed a 40+ MPG car.

I will never buy another Prius. I'm trading it off before something else goes wrong on a new Sentra.

Review Date: 16th November, 2014

16th Nov 2014, 16:35

Yes components fail in all engineered systems. BUT the Prius battery has been shown to be extremely reliable. As for $6100, at FCP Import the replacement can be had for less than $1800, and if you're a a bit handy, you can put it in yourself. So $6100 is the dealer gouging you. Let's see, 2005 to 2014 is nine years of 108 months, thus for an $1800 battery and ~350 labor you are looking at an averaged cost of $20/month. Not shabby.

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback from North America

Summary:

Very cost effective and efficient

So far, NOTHING! I have another 2005 and a newer 2010 Prius. Awesome cars.

The custom leather seats are amazing, the HID lights are cool too. Only complaint is I wish the navigation was more like my phone, but we are talking about a car made in 2005, when we didn't even have smartphones that were worth a damn until about 2009.

General Comments:

Get one, you won't regret it. Even the higher mileage cars have proven great. Thank you Toyota for making a quality product that I can use with my business, without worry of a sudden huge expense.

Review Date: 31st October, 2013

2005 Toyota Prius from North America

Summary:

Reliable, inexpensive and cute!

Needed tires recently, about 6,000 miles ago

Replaced spark plugs after I got it at about 82,000 miles.

The remote started acting up, like it would set off the alarm. I think the little button cover came off and dust from my pocket got inside. I'm going to have the remote replaced.

NOTHING ELSE has gone wrong with this car. I was so scared because of the miles, but you know what, if you find one with high miles that has been cared for, no worries.

I own three Toyota Priuses for my business now. 2 of them are of this year, and these are by far the most reliable cars I've ever owned; as good as my SC400 Lexus I had.

General Comments:

Cons:

The seat is a little meh for someone tall; wish I could adjust the seat better.

The gas mileage is great. I suggest joining a forum for Prius owners to know how to get the most out of your hybrid. Kind of sucks that you can't do electric mode without adding a modification to the car.

Review Date: 31st October, 2013

2005 Toyota Prius 1.5L Hybrid Synergy from North America

Summary:

The Prius is a lemon

Air conditioning system has gone bad in it three times. First two were covered by warranty, and the last was after the warranty was out. This cost $1200.00 to fix.

The right headlamp has gone bad twice. The first time was covered by warranty, then the second was not. This was a cost of just over $1000.00. Imagine that, a thousand dollars for a headlamp assembly.

Right tail light wire harness shorted out. After warranty this was $850.00 to fix. WOW! $850 for a few feet of #14 stranded wire with a plug on both ends.

I'm saving the best for last.

The whole braking system has now died at 117,000 miles. My local Toyota dealer says that it needs two new relays and a brake system actuator to resolve the brake trouble codes. Since it is out of warranty, this will come to a total of $3500.00. OMG!!! I wonder if the new actuator that they plan to install in my car is made of 24K gold and diamonds. How can a problem like this cost $3500.00.

I took the Prius to Just Brakes and they told me that there is nothing they can do. The Prius requires a special computer system to diagnose and fix any problems with the Prius. Neither they nor any other shop could do anything for me. I would have to take it into a Toyota dealer to repair.

The reason they are charging me $3500.00 to repair my brakes is because they can. No one else can do it. They have that market cornered. That's dirty business man. Solution for owning a Prius is when the warranty is about to go out. SELL IT QUICK...

General Comments:

I bought this car because it was suppose to be the future of hybrid technology. They advertised it at 55 to 60 MPG. I have yet to see that kind of mileage, but it does get 40-45 MPG on a regular basis. This Prius does not get 55-60MPG ever. Sorry, that must be a mistake.

This car was a good driver until about 55,000 miles when everything on it started failing. AC system X3, Headlights X2, tail lights, and now the brake system at the tune of a total of $6550.00 in repairs. That's an absolutely horrible track record. I have a '93 Ford F-150XL that has never been shopped once except for regular maintenance. GO FORD!!!!!

This means the money that I saved in gasoline expenses went to repairing the vehicle. I see the method in Toyota's madness. More money for them. It all makes sense now.

Long story short, I will never buy another Toyota in my life and I will discourage anyone that I come in contact with from wasting their money on these useless, expensive piles of garbage. I am very disappointed. Toyota used to be a good reliable car. I guess they have lowered their standards considerably.

Review Date: 20th September, 2009

15th Aug 2010, 09:52

I certainly understand the reviewer's frustration. That is a lot of trouble, most of which is very uncommon in a Prius (I don't doubt the truthfulness of the review).

The HID lights are truly a sore point in the second generation Prius, and the price of repair is just as the reviewer describes. I don't recommend HID lights in general, and in the second generation Prius in particular.

The braking system is very nice when it works, but is typically expensive to repair. It is about the same price as ABS systems in most cars, but as the reviewer says, is different enough to require dealer repair. The brakes are a very uncommon failure, though; this is the first report I have heard of actual brake failure in any generation Prius.