2008 Toyota Prius Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Touring #4 1.5 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Excellent, will buy again

Absolutely nothing, only manufacturer's service...

General Comments:

The Prius has been excellent, no problems of any kind.

It is driven daily in mixed city/highway, fuel mileage is always between 45 and 48 MPG.

The only thing I think it needs is a telescoping steering column, and more adjustments for the driver's seat...

So far this has been my most favorite automobile, and I have owned many...

Review Date: 3rd February, 2012

Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carPontiac Bonneville

Summary:

I recommend this vehicle

The most problematic issue has been with the left front tire exhibiting a slow leak. We have visited the dealer twice for this. Not yet fixed.

General Comments:

This car is a perfect commuter platform. The fuel mileage is right on par with a consistent 47-48 mpg in town. On the highway, 45 mpg is typical.

For me personally, I wish it was about five percent larger. I have a bit of a hard time being seated, but once situated, all is well. I suppose being 6'2"/200 lbs has something to do with it.

Review Date: 14th February, 2011

2008 Toyota Prius Touring Hybrid from North America

Engine and transmission Hybrid Automatic
Previous carMercury Sable

Summary:

Excellent, would buy again

Nothing, it has been perfect so far.

General Comments:

We were looking for a new car, one with excellent fuel economy and reliability.

After looking and test driving many makes and models, we decided on the Prius Touring model. The dealer did not have any in stock and could not find what we were looking for in options and color. The dealer found one on a ship that would arrive in Jacksonville, Fl in about three weeks, we agreed on a five week delivery, which came.

We really like the Prius; roomy, comfortable, great storage room. The car is used as our primary vehicle for our work commute and trips. We average 45 to 48 mpg each week. The car has been back to the dealer only for scheduled maintenance. No issues or concerns so far.

Review Date: 26th July, 2009

Year of manufacture2008

Summary:

Interesting but flawed

Faulty suspension component caused premature tire failure and clunking noise.

Antilock brakes do not work in snow (handbrake works better!)

Traction control immobilizes car if it senses slightest slippage - causes vehicle to come to a stop on gravel roads that other cars have not problems with.

Has more rattles than any other vehicle I've owned.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable and the mileage is truly amazing. We live in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and my evening commute takes me from 100 feet above sea level to 2700 feet over 52 miles. The overall mileage that this car has achieved over 26k miles is 48.7 mpg. Very impressive considering the mix of freeway stop and go, 75 mph uphill runs, etc.

The car has experienced a surprising number of glitches, including a faulty suspension component, antilock brakes that are worthless in extreme conditions, traction control that works poorly, and numerous squeaks and rattles. Not at all what we expected from a Toyota.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2009

Previous carToyota RAV4

Summary:

Like my Prius

None.

General Comments:

I bought a Prius in the fall of 2008. So far so good with the car.

Here are the facts with my 2009 Prius:

It does get 45-48 miles per gallon if you drive at a steady speed. I usually am in the 60 miles per hour range.

The longer the trip the more the mileage goes up... if you drive in a sane manner.

Doesn't like windy days, but what car does?

I do agree that the car is not quiet on rough roads.

Fuel economy does go down to around 39-40 miles per gallon when temp drops below freezing.

Hates ice and very low clearance on auto body.

I probably paid too much for car, as I purchased it when gas was $4 a gallon.

Warranty is 100,000 miles on batteries or I would not have bought the car.

The Prius is not a flashy car. That is not why I purchased it. There is plenty of room inside the car and it handles fine.

I have had two Camrys, one RAV4 and now the Prius in the last 15 yrs. Ran the first 3 cars all over 100,000 and traded them in on the next Toyota. About all I did to the cars were put tires on, change oil add a battery after several years and keep them waxed. I had one power window issue and one power antenna problem, and that was it on the first three Toyota's, and those were after at least 5 years of owning each car.

I kept my RAV4 for winter driving and drive my Prius on any nice days. Love my RAV4 but it does only get about 22 miles per gallon while the Prius is double that easily.

I will not buy another brand of car. Hope their quality continues. I would buy US if the makers could match the dependability of a Toyota.

Review Date: 8th February, 2009

30th Aug 2009, 11:23

If it was possible to purchase a Prius in Germany at the same price as in US I'd run to the Toyota dealer. It retails from $22 K in US while it in Germany is about Euro25 K and upwards. Too much money for this car. Ended up with a Ford Focus TDCI with Powershift (double clutch automatic) completely loaded for the same price. It matches the Prius in fuel usage, is 2 sec faster to 0-100kph but the Ford is much noisier and maybe less "cool". A Prius is noticed while a Focus blends more into the crowd. Winter conditions does not matter that much here. It snows only a couple of times each year in this region.

28th May 2014, 09:23

Google "where are Toyotas made".

The Camry, which Toyota builds in Georgetown, Ky., and Lafayette, Ind., is in the top spot for the second year in a row. Toyota's large Tundra pickup, built in San Antonio, Texas, and the Sienna van, from a factory in Princeton, Ind., also made the list.

28th May 2014, 14:21

Why does it matter where it's made? You can't buy it wholesale, and it's sold through worldwide dealerships.