2008 Toyota Prius Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2008 Toyota Prius from North America

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
Previous carBuick Rendezvous

Summary:

Wonderful

General Comments:

This car handles well, is roomy and comfortable. We are averaging better than 50 miles per gallon, city and highway use, which is awesome. The reason we are doing so well with gas efficiency is that we use a light foot and cruise control whenever possible. I can't say enough good things about my Prius.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2008

2008 Toyota Prius from North America

Year of manufacture2008
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carChevrolet Impala

Summary:

There is a lot to like and a few refinements would make it awesome

General Comments:

I currently drive a 2006 Impala, which is not as comfortable or of as high a quality as my previous 2001 model. We are taking a serious look at the Prius and we just test drove one. We also drove a Honda Civic Hybrid.

At our age (early sixties) and driving needs (both in town and longer trips - 200 to 1,200 miles) our concerns are comfort and economy. The Prius seems to be a much better choice than the Honda. It is far roomier for the driver and passengers and has far more cargo space. It also has a much nicer interior. The Honda seemed to look really cheap in the cabin. The Prius also comes in several trim packages, while the Honda has only one option period.

However my major complaint with the Prius during out test drive is the lack of adjustment with the seats. The Honda had more comfortable seats with a height adjustment and a telescoping steering wheel. This can be critical on long drives. In the Prius the seats were too hard and lacked support under the thigh. I am 5'10" and could not find a comfortable driving position. There is no telescoping steering wheel available, and with this car that is a major shortcoming for us. It seems silly for Toyota to leave that option unavailable on a car this smart.

The car performed well. Acceleration was very adequate. Handling was lose on the highway, and although the car runs quiet and there is minimal wind noise, the road noise was very pronounced. You had to stay busy to keep running straight, and every bump caused the car to stray a little.

This was a 2008 model and the EPA sticker was 48/45 I believe. (Yep, it does better in the city than on the highway).

We will probably test drive a second one to see if our impressions about the comfort issues were accurate. I really like the technology and the space.

I have not seen any reviews yet that speak about handling on ice or snow or other issues with winter driving. How well does the heater work. the AC? The car is still "on our list" but we do have some doubts.

Review Date: 17th March, 2008

8th Apr 2008, 05:29

I'd definitely consider the Prius, but make an informed choice. Forget about the claimed MPG; it's hugely exaggerated, but still the Prius will outperform most petrol cars in MPG figures city driving.

The Prius is best suited for city driving and short distance commuting. It's not suited very well for long journeys and you can't tow with it, it's not allowed and you can't order a tow kit with it. Also the Prius is somewhat under powered and slow, especially fully loaded with people. Cold weather affects MPG adversely, since battery capacity becomes worse.

MPG for highway is good but not very good. Our diesel Mondeo Wagon gets better MPG highway (it easily does 45 MPG with climate on, luggage, 4 persons) even if it's a larger car, but can't match the Prius in short city trips. Here the Prius hybrid solution helps out.

2008 Toyota Prius LX Hybrid from North America

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission Hybrid Don't Know
Previous carToyota Camry

I just bought a Toyota Prius and it is exceptional. It averages 50.6 mpg. It gets 27 mpg going uphill and 100+ going downhill. Several times we have been able to exceed 90 mpg for a five minute stretch going through town. Interstate driving at 70 mph gets 48 mpg.

For the time diesel may be a reasonable option, but only until oil runs out. I applaud Toyota for refining technologies that no one else has. We will need this in the future.

I did look at the Camry hybrid and it was awesome. I imagine that it gets about 38-40 mpg in town. For the size of the vehicle that is incredible.

Review Date: 8th October, 2007

8th Oct 2007, 18:42

The Prius is severely underpowered and any fuel savings are more than offset by it's much higher sticker price compared to a Chevy Cobalt or Ford Focus.

23rd Oct 2007, 03:20

I don't want to be a party pooper here, but the Corolla 1.4 D-4D does nearly 70 mpg motorway driving. If you are interested in high mpg you should really check out the Corolla.

23rd Oct 2007, 10:19

As an American, it really irritates me that you all in Europe get to have these small turbo diesel cars and trucks. Unfortunately, the air quality regulations in the US prevents us from getting diesels. At least in states like California and New York where they are probably needed the most due to higher taxes on fuel. Consider yourselves lucky for having this option.

14th Feb 2008, 19:15

Yeah. All those lucky people in Europe polluting the air just like the US has and continues to do.

They don't have strict regulations to save the planet/your life. Let's be envious!

19th Apr 2008, 06:32

Doesn't the price of diesel factor into this? And not everyone carries diesel fuel...

12th Oct 2008, 23:31

I'd like to know if the person who commented that the Prius is underpowered has actually driven one regularly. I've owned my 2007 Prius for nearly two years and have never wanted for more power. It's not a sports car but can comfortably accelerate from a stop or pass at highway speeds. It also climbs hills with a full load effortlessly due to nearly 300 lb-ft of torque from its electric motor.

2nd Nov 2012, 09:43

The person who said the Prius was underpowered, of course, never came back to comment. They've probably never even sat in the passenger seat of one, let alone the driver's seat!!

Prius is very quick off the line 0-35mph. And on the highway. I can accelerate from 65mph-90mph pretty quick too. People who were uninformed that drive with me, are always shocked to hear that the stuff they've heard at the water cooler isn't true.

Also, I have inadvertently had my Prius "peel out" before... oops!!