1999 Toyota RAV4 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1999 Toyota RAV4 LS from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carFord Aerostar

Summary:

Excellent value

Nothing.

General Comments:

Nothing but raves for this car.

We've been in 2 accidents and had the car put back together very nicely - parts were readily available. Neither accident resulted in personal injury - the RAV performed just as needed for protection.

Review Date: 6th April, 2008

1999 Toyota RAV4 4wd 2.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

Dependable, little off-road grocery getter

So far nothing.

Actually, one of the hinges on the fold-down cup holder broke in the dead of winter from the cold. I have yet to replace it.

I have also done some preventative maintenance out of boredom - flushing the tranny fluid, replacing the spark plugs, etc.

General Comments:

Great little SUV. It's much smaller than other SUV's on the road, but that's fine by me. Tried it out on some rough terrain and it performed great, but it seriously needs a beefier powertrain. It is damn slow. That would be my only gripe.

The entire car is well designed. Comfortable seats. Easy to work on engine as well as body (even though I haven't had to do anything yet, I can just tell by looking at it and looking through the Haynes manual)

I definitely recommend this car/SUV - if you don't mind it being really slow!

Review Date: 4th October, 2006

7th Oct 2006, 20:34

Hi there;

I am considering purchasing a Rav 4 in the next little while. However, I don't like the idea of Toyota making the newer ones larger. It increases the price, the weight and the size of the vehicle, making it just as ungainly as the others out there. I drove the new 2006 Rav4. I thought it was too large for what I wanted. My whole idea for buying the Rav4 was because it was a smaller SUV unit. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

CJ.

2nd Apr 2010, 13:27

I agree with CJ. I have been running thru' reviews of small SUVs, with RAV 4 topping the list, but have continued to worry about its growing size. 2006 edition is worth a trial, but certainly not beyond it. The newer versions appear too boggy, not for the young nor middle aged, I guess. Skype2.

1999 Toyota RAV4 GX 5dr 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Distance when acquired72000 miles
Previous carVolvo 440

Rear washer nozzle tube detached.

Steel wheels are starting to show a bit of rust and look tatty.

General Comments:

Autobox is really smooth and changes when you need it to. Can turn the overdrive off to restrict it to three gears when climbing hills. Good ride quality and really easy to drive.

Power is a bit limited, as a 2.0 engine is a bit small for a relatively large car, but the bonus is the combined 30mpg you get - excellent for a full time 4x4 albeit a "softroader".

Rear legroom isn't great, but fine if it's just for kids.

Seat fabric in the GX is a bit garish - try and get a VX with leather and alloys.

Lastly, I think it was a bit mean of Toyota not to include a load cover for the boot as standard - Toyota parts and accessories aren't cheap.

Overall very pleased.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2006

1999 Toyota RAV4 L 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Reliable, great all time 4x4, 21 MPG average

In the 7k miles I have owned it, *knock*, I have had nothing go wrong with it.

Only minor issue was the popular rattle from the dash, only occurs when accelerating up a hill and really pushing the poor little thing. The glove box rattled, but I rigged that up with some padding etc, and it is secured tight when locked into place.

General Comments:

Love the headroom in the front and rear seats. Replaced factory stereo and speakers, much better. Really enjoy the side opening trunk, and just enough room to throw a few things back there. Most of all, the 12V outlet in the back is great idea, and the bags that slide off on the back door, excellent idea. Car just feels reliable vs, 99 Cherokee..don't get me started on that! It is a Toyota, what else do you expect?

Review Date: 3rd June, 2004

3rd Jun 2004, 13:42

Compared to a 99 Cherokee, the RAV4 is a tin can on wheels. I'd love to see a RAV4 do some serious off roading.

Only in a Jeep.

21st Nov 2005, 11:31

Lmao!! yeah.. how can you even think about comparing a truck to a car?? wow.

9th Apr 2006, 05:11

I drive a 1999 Rav 4 L @ 80-100 miles daily and it is the best vehicle I have ever had. I bought it @ 67000 miles in Sept 2004 and now have @ 125000 miles. Bought a new set of Dunlop Grandtreks and replaced shocks and struts. It is the quietest, best running vehicle I have ever known of. Oh, by the way, maybe it's not a true 4 wheeler, but I do drive @ 60 miles a week on dirt roads, which in my area are not at all plowed in the winter. My ride gets through @ 8-12 inches of snow with NO PROBLEM AT ALL if you drive sensibly and remember that driving a 4 by 4 DOESN'T make you bulletproof in bad weather. Maintained RELIGIOUSLY with regular oil changes at no more than 3500 miles. Toyota's 4 EVERMORE. ( D

21st Oct 2006, 21:37

I have had my S reg jeep for only less than half a year so not fully pushed it as yet.

But from a couple of trips on the motorway, I found it to be really thirsty. I have noticed an improvement since I start using only BP Ultimate fuel though.

I bought this on the advice of my garage, and have not been disapointed at all. Very good standard equipment such as good speakers, air con, alloys, electric sunroof mirrors windows and so on. A very solid car that lives upto the Toyota name.

Dissapointed with the lack of after markets parts like finding a rear shelf to cover whats in the boot or even upgrades for the factory fitted alarm.

As for driving, a very good 2 lites engine, but not the type of vehicle that you would really race, I think I am scared when going round corners I might tip over. Driving position is excellent even for short people like me and parking is the best part of owning this thee door jeep.

In conclusion I would buy another one!

1999 Toyota RAV4 GX 5 door 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland