1999 Toyota Solara SE 4-cylinder from North America

Summary:

Highly recommended

Several failed oxygen sensors. Replaced under warranty.

Several CD players replaced for scratching CDs. Replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

An outstanding step-up from the Corolla GT-S I drove previously.

4-cylinder manual more than peppy enough to satisfy my "assertive" driving style.

Drives as well or better above 100K miles than it did below.

Extremely quiet interior.

I would not hesitate to recommend this car.

Review Date: 11th April, 2004

1999 Toyota Solara LE 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Great Car by Toyta

Struts were to be replaced at 70,000 miles.

Strut cups were noisy at 70,000 so I replaced them together with struts: cost around $700.

I noticed strange noise coming from the sunroof at 80,000 miles.

General Comments:

Solara has been the best car I have owned. It is a good looking sports coupe with a lot of space inside. The stock suspension isn't the perfect, but with high performance struts and new strut cups this car handles much better. The interior of Solara is one of the highest quality one in its class. The 3.0 liters engine and 5 speed gearbox gives enough power as well as torque to have fun. This car is a perfect car for someone who enjoys comfort, but would rather prefer 2-door car. My car has over 83,000 miles and except suspension nothing goes wrong.

Review Date: 17th February, 2004

1999 Toyota Solara SLE V6 from North America

Summary:

Better to buy new than to trust the certification process or promise

Condensation behind lights.

Rapidly declining gas mileage per gallon.

Engine has gotten very loud.

Vibration, rattling.

Struts bad.

Sensors bad.

General Comments:

My biggest disappointment with the Solara was realizing that Toyota's 128 point inspection upon buying Certified Used Vehicle isn't worth much although dealers charge more for Certified cars.

All the things I listed above were a part of the Certification process and should have not happened.

I returned my car for repair 7 times within 120 of owning the car.

Review Date: 20th July, 2002

28th Sep 2004, 09:18

If you buy used you need to check closely for engine sludge, a significant problem with these engines. ONly way to do it is to have the valve cover removed and engine inspected. Have it done in your presence. In certification, they say they look for sludge, but they don't really. Take to a independent mechanic and not Toyota to have the sludge check. If you don't do this, at minimum, get copies of all service records of previous owner. Make sure proper service intervals were adhered to. Don't buy if not documented. Keep all records so you can prove proper maintenance when engine sludges. Policy is only good for 8 yrs from original purchase date and begins with 97 models thru 2002.

1st Nov 2004, 07:57

That's why you buy a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle.

1999 Toyota Solara SLE 3.0 petrol from North America

Summary:

Another boring car from Toyota

Sunroof stuck, passenger side mirror stuck, airbag warning light came on, squeak from the driver's side power seat, more stone chips on the hood than my 11 year old Mercedes.

General Comments:

This car had terrible handling, it was very unstable at highway speed, leaned too much in high speed turns, A pillars always blocked my view, and rear view wasn't good either. Its performance was not what its exterior promised, I don't know what Toyota did to this car, it actually even handled worse than its 4 door brother, the Camry.

A good thing about it was the quietness, but to me it was so quiet that it completely isolated the driver from the car. The transmission was very smooth, but was because it shifted very low.

Overall it was a very boring car, the build quality was not impressive when compared to my 97 Volvo 850. I was very glad when finally wife agreed to get rid of it.

Review Date: 10th February, 2002

20th Jul 2002, 05:51

I agree that the 1999 Toyota Solara is a big disappointment! I've never had the pleasure of owning a Mercedes, but in my experience with other fine cars, this one rates lowest. The car does lean on the drivers side, the seats are uncomfortable and the sunroof is difficult to close fully without opening the tilt. I happy for you that you were able to get of your Solara, I hope to get rid of mine!

1999 Toyota Solara SE 3 Liter V6 from North America

Nothing has gone wrong with this car, we already have 10,000 miles on it, and it runs better every day.

General Comments:

This is a beautifully made car, we opted for the 5 speed because of the performance, the automatic was not very exciting. I thouroughly recommend the 200 watt JBL stereo that is one of the options.

Review Date: 24th June, 1999

4th Sep 2001, 21:16

I love my Solara. It has great acceleration and looks very classy.

The only thing I don't like is the feel of the interior--the seats are not really comfortable, even with adjustments. It's BIG. Kind of like my Mom's car. But that's okay.

26th Mar 2004, 10:42

I disagree with the JBL option. Bass way too high, would be better to get aftermarket for same or less $