1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 3 AC from North America

Summary:

A Japanese Model A

I recently bought the car and have started doing things to it.

When I bought the car, it was buried in snow over the hood and had not been started in weeks and weeks... we had to jump a battery over to her, after we got the hood up, and I was amazed when she started up...

I have since installed: new battery, front wheel bearings, master cylinder, 2 front tires, all belts and minor stuff. It doesn't leak any oil, nor does it burn any oil. I have driven over the Sierra's to San Francisco and it can run at 60 mph all day long.

What's great about this old Tercel, it has been a California car and not driven on salted roads, so it's 99% rust free. I love the fact it hasn't got a ton of sensors like my Honda; this car reminds me of the old cars I grew up with, the ones you could fix yourself with minimal tools.

General Comments:

Just the bad battery and the master cylinder...

I know a rebuilt steering rack would make the steering more pleasant, but it's not a priority right now, and a new clutch is on my list.

Things are really reasonable and easy to replace... the cost of all I have done is about equal to two new car payments, and this car will be my son's car when he grows up.

Review Date: 11th April, 2016

1983 Toyota Tercel 1.5 from North America

Summary:

Unbelievably trustworthy, it will never die

Only had small, infrequent, easy to fix cheaply problems, never needed a major repair.

General Comments:

This car is the most reliable, inexpensive transportation since the donkey went out of style. I have driven it from the desert heat, to going through blizzards over mountains at night, and it has NEVER stranded me, it always brought me home.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2010

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD 1.5L gasoline from North America

Current mileage @ 189,500:

Alternator had been replaced.

Cooling fan had been replaced.

Starter had been replaced.

No oil leaks, but engine burns oil and has been bone dry many times before refilling!

AC not working (like that when I bought it in 2006).

Clutch wheel re-sanded at 158,000.

General Comments:

I bought this car from its original owner in 2006, and this is a 1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5, and I love this car so much.

Car is fun to drive, super reliable, super cheap on gas, smooth suspension (feels like a luxury car), and lots of comments from others.

This car is not super fast, but it has good enough speed to not get any speeding tickets. This has greatly helped me in keeping the metal off the pedal!

I was thinking of getting a newer car, but had changed my mind because this is a great little car that I can't possibly get rid of it!

The repairs have been minor, and I will keep this little classic car. I just wish Toyota would make the Tercel Wagon SR5 again with its original body shape and style, I'd buy it brand new!

Quality product for such a low cost. Original owner paid $10,000 in 1983 brand new!

Review Date: 11th January, 2010

1983 Toyota Tercel DX 1.5 liter from North America

Summary:

Fantastic...we have been waiting for Toyota to build something as good as the Tercels

Nothing has gone wrong with the car in 25 yrs, just the usual maintenance.

General Comments:

Car has many desirable features e.g. over square engine, fully independent suspension, hatchback, real bumpers and light weight. You have to go to a new V6 Camry to get a square engine and fully independent suspension.

We are not into large vehicles. This car has room for 4 people is 158" long and 54" high weighing in at 1975 lbs. It has always gotten ~35 miles/gal on the road.

Our other car is a 1985 Tercel Wagon that has 280,000 miles and was bought 16 yrs ago. It has the same features and has been just as reliable as the DX 3 door.

Review Date: 1st July, 2007