1985 Toyota Tercel 1.5 from North America

Summary:

A reliable car for someone who can't afford a newer toyota.

Currently, the carburetor is cracked and leaking. (175,000)

I've had to replace the rock and pinion steering. (155,000)

I've replaced the alternator several times. (170,000)

The radiator has been replaced.

(169,000)

The passenger door is broken (will not open). (172,000)

The muffler has been replaced. (172,000)

The engine is leaking oil (have fixed it before). (165,000)

The ball bush bearings have needed replacement (165,000)

General Comments:

Even now, with a cracked carburetor, it still runs!!!

The body has suffered rusting by the window of the hatchback as well as around the tires.

Review Date: 16th July, 2004

1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 Wagon 4X4 1.5L 4X4 5 speed from North America

Summary:

A very reliable and affordable ride

There is not much to report on this section. The CV joints are starting to go out for the first time, but that's it.

General Comments:

I love this car! It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. When I bought this car, it was very well taken care of by its previous owner. Everything works on it, including the sunroof and the air conditioning. It handles turns very well and I have had it up to 100 miles per hour with no problems. I love the gas mileage it gets and the room it has. I believe this car will survive past 300,000 miles and more. I recommend this car for anyone.

Review Date: 20th May, 2003

1985 Toyota Tercel DX 4WD Station wagon 3A-C 1.5L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Stodgy and reliable

Rear axle bearing needed replacing.

Mechanical fuel pump leaked, requiring replacement.

Had to replace both half-axles.

Rust is creeping around the edges of the wheel wells.

General Comments:

There's no such thing as an old Tercel. Sure it may have an engine that at it's most optimistic, possesses 62 to 65 HP. However, it possesses reasonable acceleration, even for the 3-speed automatic I own.

The 4WD system works like a champ on these things. Push a button on the shifter and it'll go into 4WD. Push the button again, and it'll come out of 4WD. And the vehicle is perfectly balanced (50/50) so you can actually feel the vehicle gain traction when it goes into 4WD. Not like some other vehicles, where it's debatable whether the 4WD system is actually giving you any additional traction. And even though it' an automatic, I'd take it to places some big beefy SUVs would fear to tread.

Finally, they're a breeze to maintain, and they'll run on a minimum of maintenance. I'm approaching 240K, but I think the car has at least another 30-50K left in it.

Review Date: 18th November, 2002

16th Jan 2006, 11:49

I remember writing this review over three years ago! Since then, I put 20k more miles on the beast. In that time, I replaced a fender and refinished the other one, in the epic battle versus Mr. Rust. I coaxed it through a few more smog tests, rebuilt the starter, replaced another half-axle, and was involved in a 6-car chain-reaction sort of accident which was absorbed with aplomb by the car's rusty 21 year old bumpers.

At 256,058 miles, with iffy brakes, encroaching rust, arthritic suspension, and a motor with a head and carburetor rebuild in its immediate future, it was finally time to send the beast off to a quiet, well-earned retirement.

Overall, a fine car. They don't make 'em like the used to.

1985 Toyota Tercel Hatchback 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I love my little Toyota Tercel! It's cheap, comfortable and reliable. Great Bargain for 1,500 bucks!

Nothing yet...Hooray!!!

General Comments:

I bought my '85 Toyota Tercel Hatchback from my father who sells used cars. I had asked him for a reliable car and he said he had one. He wasn't lying! It's not a looker but it is comfortable, cheap on gas and it starts every time, even in the blasting cold of PA.

It goes through snow great, drives smoothly and handles well.

It's not much on power or speed, but I have 3 kids now and my Trans Am days are over, (for now) Hee-Hee.

It only has 87,000 original miles on it, and is in Pristine condition, so I expect on having it for at least another 5 years...

Review Date: 21st January, 2002

25th Jan 2011, 11:36

I just had a friend give me his deceased grandmother's 1985 Toyota Tercel.

It has been sitting under a carport since 1992 and has 25,006 original miles. He suggested selling it for scrap metal, but I could see it's hidden potential. Without the keys available, it was difficult to maneuver out of the carport and onto a trailer. It is a spotless time capsule, back to 1985 as the interior and exterior are in perfect condition.

The car was apparently purchased used in 1992 with 25,003 miles, driven by the elderly lady to her home, and parked. Yes, she only drove the car three miles from the dealer and the car still has the faded dealer tag affixed to the rear.

I can't wait to get the dry rotted tires replaced, fluids changed, and take it for a spin.