1992 Toyota Tercel LX 1.5L from North America

Summary:

Very reliable and long lasting car

Radiator needs to be replaced.

Valve seals are gone, so it's burning a bit of oil.

Driver's side carpet is torn.

Had to replace battery (typical).

General Comments:

I bought this as my first car in October, and I am currently doing repairs to get it back on the road.

I haven't driven it a whole lot, but I am impressed with how well it handles. It's very fun to drive!

For being 16 years old, the car is in amazing shape overall. The body is still 99% rust free, and the paint is not dull at all.

The car had 265K on it when I bought it, and I am quite surprised at how well it is still running. Even during the freezing cold Canadian winter, she started up every time, first try.

To think, I only paid $500.00 for it and I am getting the repairs done for free. I think I've done pretty good for a first car.

Review Date: 1st June, 2008

1992 Toyota Tercel from North America

Summary:

Economical masterpiece!

Had to replace the timing cover as it was leaking oil.

General Comments:

Most reliable car I have ever owned. I bought her well used just because I needed something to drive after my Ford blew up. She was gutless, but got me around. Then winter hit and I really began to understand how well Toyota's are put together. I live in the mountains of Montana so I know what reliable is. Even on the coldest mornings when the thermometer read 20 below, and the snow was deep and the wind was blowing, I'd turn the key and the engine would immediately fire after only one or two turnovers.

I've only replaced the one timing seal (and of course the belt because it was saturated with oil) and haven't had to replace anything else. I beat the hell out of this car - taking it down a 40 foot embankment and hitting six trees (with remarkably no mechanical damage and very minuscule cosmetic damage) - getting T-boned by a huge Ford Explorer (again, little damage after the fender was popped out) - running over a rabbit and spinning the car around.

I have no problem taking this car on long trips as it gets 40 miles to the gallon on the highway and never quits!

When I had the oil leak I took it on a trip to Washington and forgot to replace the oil when I returned home. I ran it without oil for three days and nothing went wrong. She started to sound different and then it occurred to me that I needed to check the oil. When I checked the dipstick, to my surprise, I had absolutely no oil in the pan, and she kept on kicking.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone who isn't concerned about driving the smallest thing on the road -it's function over luxury, and the Tercel WILL get you where ever it is you are going.

Review Date: 11th November, 2004

1992 Toyota Tercel DX 1.5 petrolium from North America

Summary:

This car is economically fun

- The radiator (150000KM)

- Constant velocity joints were clicking a little so I replaced them (160000KM)

- Clutch master piston (Hydraulic clutch) 140000KM

- Fuel line leaked, but wasn't rusty (145000KM)

- Head gasket needed replacing, simply two bolts (165000KM)

- Starter needed replacing (170000KM)

General Comments:

I love this car; it is awesome to drive and is very reliable. It is surprisingly fast for 1.5L. It is a taut car that has never needed any major work yet, and it doesn't burn oil.

It is loud at high speeds, and at 150km/h it gets some speed wobble. I only have regular tires rated at 110km (they're tiny).

Review Date: 1st November, 2004

1st Nov 2004, 22:32

With a manual they are peppy enough at low speeds. My friend had a '92 tercel 5 speed, and 0-60km/h it would be side-by-side with my '92 automatic Mazda Protege, although I'd pull away noticeably over 60km/h.

I am surprised you got it up to 150 though. lol. They don't have much punch from 3rd gear onward. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the tire ratings. I've been up to 190km/h on 120km/h rated tires, although I certainly don't recommend that :)