2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD 4.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

The Domestics are good, but the Tundra is GREAT!

Nothing has gone wrong.

Headlights are not very bright - replaced with Pia's and it still didn't help much.

General Comments:

Wish I had the more powerful 2005 engine, but my '04 isn't really that bad.

I have the optional Borla Exhaust and it sounds fantastic!

Excellent quality truck.

Rides fantastic even with Off-Road package!

I've driven it off-road, hauled heavy loads and driven it hard and it doesn't show any signs of problems!

Best truck EVER!

Review Date: 1st December, 2005

6th Jun 2006, 17:22

You nailed it!

I have the same truck and it is by far the best truck I have owned. I have owned several ford trucks and used all the domestic American made trucks for work. This Tundra is the best by far!

26th Mar 2007, 17:52

No full-boxed frame, structural weakness, no low-end torque, falsified HP and Torque figures. Piston slap (engine noise) in early engine life. A pretender. Waiting for sae HP rating reviews and modifications. In one sentence, why a 235hp 4.7 jeep engine leaves a 285hp Iforce in the dust. Without sludge!!!

26th Mar 2007, 19:57

Car and Driver April 2007 issue Tundra rated 3rd...Silverado #1.

27th Mar 2007, 10:53

22:37, Dead last at what?

More people like them than Fords, more people buy them than buy Fords, they have higher resale value than Fords, lower cost of ownership, get better gas mileage, and have won WAY more awards over the years than any Fords, so how are they dead last?

If they'd ranked the Fusion dead last (which is accurate) you guys would have said that Toyota's advertising bought them a good endorsement from Car and Driver, and that they are biased against Ford, or domestics in general. So, I can do the same: I'm guessing Ford paid somebody at Car and Driver a lot of money to even bother testing that Fusion piece of crap, and then paid them some more to say anything good about it. Because anybody with any sense knows the Camry and the Accord are at the top of that list, and any Ford car is at the bottom.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

Poor product for the price

Breaks squeal after only 6,000 miles. Rides like a tank.

Windows fog over regardless of weather conditions, no matter what I clean them with.

Gas mileage is poor even for a V8.

General Comments:

I thought it would be a good truck upon buying it, but after only 6,000 miles I regret ever buy a Toyota. this is a mistake I will not make again.

I plan to trade it in or sell it as soon as possible.

Review Date: 12th September, 2004

14th Jul 2005, 10:24

Well you must have ended up with a lemon. my buddy has one a has the best luck ever with it. lots of power and very good gas mileage. I guess that has to do with how it is driven.

2004 Toyota Tundra Limited V8 from North America

Summary:

Safe, reliable and fun to drive truck

Squeak from the bed.

General Comments:

I purchased a 4WD Limited Double Cab with the TRD Package in February of 2004. Thus far I have driven it in the snow, 3000-mile trip to Mexico, two trips to Las Vegas and a drive up the coast to San Francisco. It has driven superbly. I purchased the truck to be used as the family vehicle. I have read a few other reviews and can address the gas cap problem. Due to my trip to Mexico I purchased a locking cap (same as the 2003). In replacing the stock cap I read the owner's manual and noticed that even though it goes in one way, not a screw type, it does click more than once. Toyota recommends you turn the cap so that it clicks a few times. Apparently this helps to tighten the cap down. I had the "check engine light come on once, and quickly solved the problem by ensuring I click the cap a few times after I refuel. The light turned off on its own.

I had the truck loaded down, at least 1200 lbs., during most of my road trip into Mexico. I was surprised at how well it handled for being loaded down. The torquey engine helped when going uphill, but I did wish the engine had a little more power. The BF Goodrich tires that come on the TRD package are considered snow tires and as such handle well in the snow. I did not slide once during a trip to the local mountains. Aside from the lack of more HP/Torque the only other problem I have had is a squeak that comes from the bed whenever I hit an uneven road/surface. I have yet to take it in. Other than that the truck if fun to drive and safe for my family. The 15-mpg mileage is the trade off for having my family safe during our road trips. It is now July and I have put over 10,000 miles on the truck.

Review Date: 15th July, 2004

18th Jul 2004, 08:55

I am trying to locate a locking gas cap for my 2003 where did you get it thanks.

25th Aug 2004, 12:27

That squeak that you are hearing in the bed of your truck is likely your shocks. I took my 2004 TRD Double Cab in because of this squeak and it turns out the rear shocks were screwed up. They replaced them under warranty and the noise has stopped. I would suggest that you do the same.

Great truck otherwise.

22nd Mar 2007, 22:00

Hopefully, at some point the public will come to realize that "Toyota SERVICE" and "Toyota QUALITY" are oxymorons. Anyone actually expecting Toyota to fix problems is going to be VERY disappointed (and believe me, there will be PLENTY of problems to be fixed!!)

28th Mar 2007, 12:55

22:00 I think that instead, some of the public will read your comment, and realize that you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. None of my Toyota's have EVER had a problem.

29th Mar 2007, 19:57

LOTS of Toyotas have PLENTY of problems. Just look through the 2006 Camry and 2003-2006 Tundra reviews. I never had a problem with any of my domestics. I had TONS of problems with my imports. That's why I only drive domestics now.