1984 Toyota Van Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1984 Toyota Van LE 2.0 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent distance190000 miles
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Good for the money

Speedometer cable broke 2x, haven't fixed it yet.

Engine missing on cylinder.

Starter and alternator going bad repeatedly due to bad battery.

Side door off track.

General Comments:

Considering that I used it as a taxi cab for 3 months before retiring it to private use, it's in good shape. I don't recommend it for cold weather driving though, lack of traction on ice due to rear wheel drive and no weight in the back, but as a summer vehicle it's great.

Review Date: 7th March, 2003

1984 Toyota Van LE 2.0 Liter 4 Cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0 Liter 4 Cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance201303 miles

Summary:

A very fun, highly versatile, vehicle to drive

When my dad drove it:

The water pump blew on our way back home and it was towed into a Toyota Dealer who rebuilt the engine.

Then I got my license and now the van is mine:

Oil pressure sensor broke and lost all the oil. It was towed back into the shop for repair. Luckily, it was under warranty. Engine wasn't damaged, thank god.

My brother slipped on some ice on his way to school and took it into the ditch. Now there's a dent on the bottom side behind the right rear tire.

Air intake hose between the throttle body and filter box got a hole in it. Instead of paying around $60 for a new hose, we sealed it up with GOOP and taped it up with electrical tape.

Misfiring when warm. Things we replaced to try to solve it.:

Fuel filter. It ran a little better after that, but still kicked and bucked.

Replaced the rotor and the coil, this time, doing this ourselves. Runs a lot better, but now will run on 3 cylinders when it's warm enough. Since my distributor cap shocked me when I was adjusting the timing, this means I need new wires and a new cap.

Future repairs:

New plug wires and cap.

New ignition module if plug wires and cap don't solve the problem.

New windshield washer tank and pump motor.

Cruise control.

Air Conditioning.

Body Work.

New stereo system.

Transmission Overhaul.

General Comments:

I love the way this van drives. After getting used to driving it, I fly around the corners like they were nothing. This thing is very versatile. With the seats removed, I can haul a full-sized couch and 2 chairs. I've hauled quite a bit in this so far. Also, this thing rides very nice when it's got a full load. I won't have any other car. I'm keeping this van as long as I live. The way the front wheels are positioned allow it to handle and maneuver a lot better than some cars. I can make a very tight U-Turn in places where my dad's Lumina can't.

Review Date: 16th July, 2002

22nd Jun 2003, 22:04

I have owned two of these now. I just bought this one for summer camping. One thing bothers me though... where is the filler for the front windshield fluid?

27th Sep 2003, 21:53

I need to replace the windshield washer fluid pump/motor on my '86 cargo van. Tried two from local junk yards, neither worked. Dealer wants ~$80 for one! Has anyone found an aftermarket parts source where I might find one cheaper?

14th Feb 2013, 13:03

Look under the passenger floor mat and carpeting, and you will find a little white cap. If you look from under the front of the vehicle, you will find the washer bottle under the passenger side.

1984 Toyota Van Cargo 2.0 from North America

First year of ownership1984
Most recent year of ownership1999
Previous carToyota Honda Civic 1976

Summary:

It is a very economical van

Fuel pump was replaced after its 3rd year. Electronic igniter was replaced after many visits to dealer.

General Comments:

I put 425000km on the same engine.

The valve cover had not been replaced. I towed my boat full of camping gears for 14 years.

I would keep this Van for my son.

But unfortunately It rolled of the highway and I was in hospital for two nights.

The secret of keeping this Van is that I hardly let Toyota dealer to service it.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2002

9th Aug 2002, 03:36

I had a Toyota Van up to the 465,000 KM mark, until an Acura driver wrote it of for me, I agree with your review: don't let the dealer get anywhere near it! (except for warranty, of course, but these are all out of warranty anyway) I did the work myself, so I knew it was done right!

And yes I would buy another.

1984 Toyota Van LE 2.0 from North America