2003 Toyota Yaris T SPORT 1.5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Obviously Toyota realize that things had to get better and the new model has been revised

The seat covers had to be replaced as they were bobbling after 2000 miles

Window door seals replaced as they were a very poor fit, replacements were not much better.

The alloy wheels corroded badly after 9 months even when cleaned regularly and not damaged.

General Comments:

I found the build quality reasonable.

The carpets were of appalling quality and only fitted where they decided to fit.

The ride was so hard that potholes had to be avoided as the car shook violently, this also gave the problem of lots of rattles and squeaks. This is what finally got to me and had to part company as it was in the garage 5 times for bad rattles.

Review Date: 6th January, 2006

2003 Toyota Yaris GS 1.4 D4D from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The best all-round car

Nothing.

General Comments:

What an incredible little car!

After moving jobs which meant I had to travel a round trip of 100 miles to work each day, I decided to get a more economical car and settled on the 65mpg diesel Yaris as I had owned Toyota's previously. It still surprises me with its nippy little handling and in-gear acceleration, something I never thought I'd say about a diesel!

Basically, it is amazingly cheap to run (Lancashire to South Coast on half a tank), fast enough, fairly comfortable and incredibly reliable.

Review Date: 12th March, 2005

2003 Toyota Yaris Colour Collection Blue 1.0 VVT-i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great looks and handling- Buy one!

The driver's door seal became loose but the dealer fixed it free of charge. Otherwise no problems.

General Comments:

The car is fun and nippy to drive, although there is some body lean.

Inside it is logically laid out, good driving position, I'm 6'4 and I have no problems, digital dash sets the yaris apart from other small cars.

The boot is small, but the sliding rear seat allows you to expand it when carrying larger loads.

Good equipment levels, mine came with alloys, metallic paint, CD player and leather steering wheel and gear knob because it's a special edition all for £8000. A bargain price for the reliability and quality.

Review Date: 29th January, 2005

5th Sep 2007, 05:36

Update on this car.

The car has now done 32000miles from the 11000 when I wrote the review and there have been absolutly no problems!! just needed routine maintainance, tyres and brakes. Brilliant car!

2003 Toyota Yaris GS 1.4 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An average Toyota that is over hyped

Nothing has gone wrong as I expected.

General Comments:

I had this Yaris D4D for one month as a courtesy car while my Carina was in the bodyshop.

First I must say I speak as a huge Japanese car fan, mainly Toyota, but I have to say this car really disappointed me.

The D4D is supposed to be THE Yaris to have and yes the MPG is great, but so much isn't.

I hated the high driving position, the car feels narrow because it is tall, it leans around bends, and does not inspire confidence on the motorway, the engine is not that flexible and is slow to respond.

Wind and road noise are very obvious above 50mph, although at first I liked the projector style digital dash it very quickly lost its novelty value and give me regular analogue dials any day.

The car also feels flimsy, the doors feel very close to your body, which gave me a claustrophobic feeling and I really got sick of seeing the acres of plastic where the instruments should be.

I have read reviews saying the handling is nimble and fun, but that just is not the case, handling is mediocre and not entertaining at all. My Carina E will run rings around it all day long.

This car is a good A to B city tool, but that's it. I you want any kind of driver involvement look elsewhere.

Review Date: 27th September, 2004

23rd Feb 2005, 02:59

I think this car takes a bit of getting used to, had you owned it say for about 3 months maybe you would have warmed to it. Also the car may have been a bit tight, the D4D needs a good few thousand miles to loosen up and after a Carina of course the car would feel strange, they are at complete opposites.

15th Sep 2005, 11:20

I've driven a Carina E and a Yaris T Sport as far as I'm concerned the handling of the Yaris is way better, can't speak for the D4D version though. The Carina is great in a straight line, however lacks cornering agility. It's like comparing apples and oranges though, the Yaris is a later design and takes time getting used too.

16th Sep 2005, 10:33

I wrote the original review for this car, however I have to say I rented a D4D Yaris in Europe on holiday for 2 months and I did warm to it a lot. It didn't lean like the one I had previously and I began to enjoy the higher driving position and perky engine, which was very quiet at speed. Two adults and a roof rack full of stuff and I still got around 65mpg which is spectacular. Got in my Carina E when I got back and it did feel sloppy, but it is old.

So basically I take it all back. It's a pretty impressive little car, and you need to drive one for a while to fully appreciate its all round ability.