2008 Toyota Yaris Base 1.5L from North America

Summary:

Great little car

I have had no problems with this car. None.

General Comments:

It is what it is, performance is very poor even for a car in this class, but that is not why I bought it. Comfort is average for a sub-compact, long trips are not the most comfortable. It is fairly roomy (we have a 4 door sedan) for a small car. For driving around town and short trips, it is great, and it has been very reliable.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2010

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 1.5 from North America

Summary:

Excellent car for the price

Slight oil leak, which the dealer promptly took care of. Timing chain cover was seeping a small amt of oil from it. Not even bad enough to drip yet, but I wanted it taken care of.

General Comments:

I love the car, and have driven it on over a 5,000 mile vacation road trip each year for the last 2 years in a row, 0 problems. Have gotten up to 45 MPG with it, but on average I get 35-40 miles per gallon. Gets best mileage around 65-70MPH, and then mileage really starts to fall off around 80MPH. Runs great at highway speeds.

If I had one complaint, it would be the car has too many rattles, but I'm OK with it. It is a great car.

Review Date: 24th January, 2010

24th Jan 2010, 15:53

It's best mileage at 65-70? Haha that's funny. Try 55 MPH. I've gotten 48 MPG out of my 2008 Honda Civic at that speed. And the Civic is a larger, heavier car with a larger engine than the Yaris.

19th Apr 2010, 19:43

Can you tell me how many miles are on your Yaris? I believe we have the same oil leak as you did. What did the dealer do to fix it? Our Yaris is also a 2008. If you get this message, please see when your YARIS was manufactured. You can find it on the I-pillar (door frame) on the driver's side. Ours was produced APRIL of 2008. Makes us think this might have been an issue for that period of time. THANKS.

2008 Toyota Yaris T sport 1.8 petrol from Lithuania

Summary:

Perfect all rounder

Nothing wrong.

General Comments:

Well this car is quite expensive, but gives very good balance between performance and economy. It grips well in into the corners, and drives well up to 200km. It pulls at around 2500rm. At about 100km/h consumes 6 litres of fuel. Well done Toyota.

Review Date: 27th July, 2009

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 1.5L from North America

Summary:

Snappy little budget mobile

Tire pressure sensors stopped working some time ago.

General Comments:

When I went shopping for a new car I basically wanted something I could finance for less than $200/month. I checked out comparable cars from Honda, Hyundai, and Nissan and the price of the Yaris and the Toyota name won out. This is definitely a no-frills car. It has AC and an auxiliary jack for an mp3 player (which I now can't live without) and that's it. Manual locks and windows and nothing fancy, but that's fine by me, I don't need a nav system (I can read a map) or KITT from Knight Rider telling me what to do. This is basically a more sophisticated version of the VW Bug without the joy of adjusting valves or broken heaters.

That said it is surprisingly peppy for a car that puts out a massive 103hp. Like other Toyotas I've driven it is quick off the line, but lacks mid-range power. Climbing long distances requires many downshifts. I've gotten her up close to 100mph and my life did not flash before my eyes, nor did the car develop any cheap-car-racer shake. Handling is fine. It is no BMW, but is fun to take through a twisting downhill mountain drive. It is nimble enough for someone who drives like me to dodge comatose drivers on the freeway.

Mileage is excellent. Drive conservatively and you can easily average over 40 mpg (some claim to get over 50, but I don't have the discipline to drive that slowly over long distances). Average 70 or 80 on a long road trip (say, San Diego to Death Valley) and you drop to around the 27 - 30 mpg range. Still very, very good. I can easily get close to or over 400 miles on one tank of gas.

Sore points: the throttle and the brakes. The throttle is weird and inconsistent, sometimes a little bit of gas will make the car jump, other times it takes off normally. I've had the car for a year and still haven't totally gotten the hang of it. The brakes are surprisingly weak for such a small car. Sometimes it feels like I'm driving my old '68 VW Bug with four drums. Every Toyota I've driven has had excellent, powerful brakes (I even put some Tacoma brakes on a 300ZX I owned years ago). I guess this was a cost-cutting decision. I don't feel that the brakes or unsafe, but I will upgrade them to something more substantial (like four-wheel discs) in the future.

Overall I like this car. You need a sense of humor to drive one when you're use to sporty cars and trucks, and I do sometimes get weird looks from people (though these cars are becoming more popular now), but I dig tiny old Euro cars, so I'm at home here. If you want something new and relatively cheap this is one to check out, ignore the online reviews that bemoan the lack of features, these people can't live without every bell and whistle in the world on their $13,000 commuter.

Review Date: 16th May, 2009

18th May 2009, 10:23

"This is basically a more sophisticated version of the VW Bug without the joy of adjusting valves or broken heaters."

It is worlds apart from the original VW Bug, and if given a choice - if both were new - I'd take the VW Bug.

30th May 2009, 03:56

I also think the brakes of 2008 Toyota Yaris/Vitz are somewhat abrupt and hectic. I suspect it would be a part of Toyota's cost down plan, led by Toyota's bad-reputation presidents; Mr.Cho and Mr.Watanabe. So I hope such poor Toyota quality of recent vehicles released from this company within a couple of years would be improved in from 2009-made vehicles!

Apart from this point, the current Yaris/Vitz is well-engineered and sophisticated small car, I think. Especially the Yaris 1.5's snappy acceleration and overall performance are impressive to me, frankly speaking. Her 0-100km/h (62mph) acceleration time is in early 9secs, as fast as that of the Volvo S60 2.4 with 170bhp motor, it's miraculous for a 1.5-liter automatic. Along with it, its top speed is said to be about 130mph (210km/h) if limiter removed. Needless to say, its fuel economy is more than average for such econoboxes, as miser as the Honda Fit/Jazz.