2012 Toyota Yaris LE from North America

Summary:

Economical Star!

This car has been a fantastic investment overall. The LE model is the “middle” model and has some excellent features (steering wheel music controls, cruise control, hard privacy cover for trunk area) and did not break the bank. I bought the car brand new and paid just under $18,000 final cost, after all fees and taxes.

It has that legendary Toyota reliability, at least so far. 82,000 miles and the ONLY non-scheduled repair items have been replacing headlight bulbs once each and one of the bulbs that illuminates the back license plate. Got new tires at around 40,000 miles and did the rear brakes at 80,000 miles. That’s it.

The iPod connectivity is nice. The A/C and heater both work well. It is very easy to park.

A frequent complaint with the car is the awkward driver positioning - personally, it was a big selling point to me; I’m 6’9” and I comfortably fit in the driver’s seat with no visibility issues. However, my height is unusual so I doubt that my opinion on positioning is representative of the Yaris populace.

The rear seat backs fold down neatly and, for being such a small car, there’s a decent amount of space in the back to transport boxes or for liberal use on a long road trip. I’ve used it for both.

I will say, on a more negative note, that the car is rather gutless in general, especially when going uphill or when you have multiple passengers in there (or, God forbid, both!). The car also likes to downshift too early when going down hills, and therefore is rather loud when descending hills. Road noise is pronounced but I don’t notice it too much. I’m only reminded of it when I’m in someone else’s car and it takes me by surprise when it’s considerably quieter.

My only regret with my selection is that I didn’t spend the extra $300 to get the four door version! (I have the hatchback by the way)

I hope the car lasts me at least until 130,000 without hassle. I will probably get a new car around that time regardless of my experience with this one. It’ll be time.

General Comments:

It’s very reliable and economical. It’s definitely not a luxury car but there’s a lot of important stuff to recommend. Easy on gas, too!

Review Date: 26th January, 2019

27th Jan 2019, 16:58

A 6'9" guy driving around in a Yaris... that must be something to see alright...

2012 Toyota Yaris YR 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Do not purchase this poorly designed car

Fact: The engine emits a high pitch frequency (like ringing in your ears - tinnitus, 2-3kHz pure narrow tone). This occurs at speeds of over 90km/hr and is extremely irritating. The noise leaves my ears ringing after a highway trip. I have recorded this sound with professional equipment and shown it to Toyota. After complaining to Toyota, they replied that this "condition" is normal in all Yaris model engines and would do nothing to fix it! (Toyota tested an identical model and it exhibited the same "condition"). I am still trying to get my money back on this car, as it only does half the job it was designed to do.

General Comments:

The glare that bounces off the dash onto the inside of the windscreen makes for very poor visibility in the early morning and late afternoons.

The new windscreen wiper design catches a lot of wind, making it sound like strong winds are buffeting the car.

The interior panels are poorly designed, and there are numerous rattles that come and go in the car.

Review Date: 18th December, 2012

20th Dec 2012, 00:49

I'd like to know what specifically that sound sounds like. I find it strange that an engine would emit a high frequency noise at certain speeds.

15th Feb 2013, 10:51

It's a resonant frequency; sometimes its effect is a sound or a vibration. I remember a friend's 76 Golf; the engine would hit just the right vibration frequency to make the throttle return spring eat through its mounting like it was made of a soft metal.

2012 Toyota Yaris L 1.5 liter petrol from North America

Summary:

This car gets great gas mileage, has great reliability, and everyone should own a Yaris

Nothing has gone wrong with this car.

General Comments:

This is a wonderful hatchback.

This car is peppy and fun to drive.

This car gets great gas mileage, averaging 41.2 mpg highway, and about 34 mpg city, with the air conditioning on.

This car has bulletproof reliability and great safety features in its class.

Everyone who cannot afford a hybrid or electric car, should drive a Yaris!

I love my Yaris.

Review Date: 19th April, 2012

15th Nov 2012, 09:32

No way you'll ever see me drive one of those. I'll give up driving completely before that.

16th Nov 2012, 21:54

Yeah, for sure. The last thing a person needs is a practical, reliable, fuel efficient car with a solid track record.

17th Nov 2012, 10:17

Being cheap, we rented one in Florida from the airport. No thanks.