1976 Triumph TR7 Sprint 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great car if taken care of properly

This is my second TR7 having owned one from 1977 to 1997 with no problems. The one I now own does not have any problem's either, as I keep it well maintained.

Review Date: 5th December, 2010

1976 Triumph TR7 Victory edition from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I still miss my TR7!!!

No problems.

I kept the car until I had my second baby. The problem--the TR7 is not a "family friendly" car. So very sad.

General Comments:

I loved my TR7 and wish I could find one now that was a "cherry" like mine. I've just purchased a 1980 MG MGB because I cannot find a TR7.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2007

1976 Triumph TR7 2.0 L from North America

Summary:

I've always loved it; it was unique then and now it's unique again

I bought the car new in 1976, and the electrical components kept the car in the shop over and over for the first 6 months -- first instance, all interior lights went out.

Loose lug nuts when delivered to me by the dealer.

Grinding transmission when down-shifting to 1st gear (no solution ever found.)

Trailing arm shackles loose, needed securing.

Misaligned driver's side door (always leaked no matter how many times it was re-hung and adjusted.)

Headlight switched wired in backward -- "up" meant "down" and vice versa.

Brake lights and turn signals replaced (all this is within the first month or two, on a new car.)

Factory shipping plug in trunk not removed for delivery -- trunk filled up with water from rain!

A year or two later, began going through RH front wheel bearings -- replaced several times, then suddenly the problem stopped and never happened again.

Oil level "idiot light" had a pressure sensor whose diaphragm ruptured, dumping all the engine oil onto the road.

General Comments:

I bought the car for its styling -- in 1976 it was unique among round-cornered American "big cars." I didn't care about the reliability issues, and in fact they gradually went away over time.

Plenty of room on the inside for me (6 ft tall) and the dash is laid out perfectly; everything visible from a comfortable driving position.

At the time it was the best-cornering car I'd ever driven. A friend had a TR6 and we had little races. He could pull away from me on straight sections, but I'd easily pass him on the turns.

Despite a reputation for poor build quality, confirmed by my own experiences in its early years, my TR7 became so reliable that for years it was my only car, and in fact I moved cross-country (600+ miles) in it with no backup.

Review Date: 26th May, 2007

10th Jun 2008, 22:41

Loved my '76 TR too, sold it a long time ago... owned mine in the mid 80's for a few years. I was a "boy racer" in those days.. I could get the wheels to spin 1st, 2nd & 3rd on a wet road! it was lethal!! but so much fun. I loved the interior, felt like an airplane cockpit.

1976 Triumph TR7 from North America

Summary:

The car is really nice, I love it

Well the car looks awesome nothing has gone wrong with it since I've had it. I've had the car for I guess a year I'm about to turn 16 and my parents bought it for me. I do need to either replace the battery or the battery wires because I'm having to jump it to get it started so I'm thinking it the battery.

General Comments:

I haven't been able to drive it yet, but I can't wait. My parents put a paint job on it for me, it's a pearlesent white to blue. I want to know where to find parts for this car because I want a face car a I believe that I can make it real fast.

Review Date: 29th September, 2004

27th Dec 2004, 13:40

I just turned 16 also, my sister gave me her Tr7 about 6 months ago, I haven't had a problem with it, she had it about 4 years before me and only had a couple problems with it.

30th Jan 2005, 12:57

First, please don't worry about making it fast. It's a sports car! Cool! What else do you need? I totaled my TR250 and lost the sight of my left eye due to speed and a hole in the road. Please believe me, it's better to get there a little slower than to not get there at all. Just keep it mechanically up to date and change the fluids at a regular basis and you should be o.k. It's a British vehicle, so it's going to leak, they all do. Keep your suspension tight and your tires aligned also. Good luck and have fun, but also be careful. I've been blind since I was 17. I'm now 52. It's a great car. Have a great time, but please get there (a little slower).

Mark Snyder.

14th Feb 2009, 15:57

I am a 35 yr old female. My first car at age 15 was the TR7. It was a beautiful red. I have now had a mustang, F150, blazers, suburbans, camry, none will ever top the joy and sheer delight that came from driving my TR7. I loved the eight track tapes. By the time my grandfather gave me the 1976 car it was quite old, but awesome. It got me lots of attention!