1990 Vauxhall Astra Reviews - Page 3 of 10

1990 Vauxhall Astra L 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Previous carVauxhall Nova

Summary:

Spankingly fast for what it is

Over heated twice, the first time was stuck in traffic and as soon as steam started rising the traffic moved so I left it. Other time was stuck in traffic for about an hour over the distance of 500 yards. Parked up for a while and let it cooled, but all was fine in the end as far as I know, it was only 2 and a half hours ago.

I also found out the other day that there was no oil in the engine. The last time I filled it was in the middle of June. Thankfully it wasn't a leak, but just consumption. Bit thirsty I know, but It ran well without oil.

Cam ticks like a something I can't say on here, but quietens down once I pull off or give it a little rev.

There is an annoying rattle from the engine. to be honest I want a new car now so I'm gonna leave it be.

I think the C.V. joints have gone as it makes a worrying ticking noise when I accelerate round corners in first second and third.

General Comments:

Otherwise it's fantastic, don't let my problems put you off. If you are buying a car of this age, you can't go far wrong, in fact unless I can get a cheap Honda Civic, I'm gonna get another Astra.

By the way It did 111 mph with very little/no oil. Would have gone faster had a Fiesta not gone into my lane at 60. Quickly followed by 40 tonnes of truck. Regularly cracked 100 which isn't bad for a car that's supposed to do 96 (I think).

A cracking car, especially if your my Age (18)

Review Date: 16th October, 2002

1990 Vauxhall Astra GTE 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 16v Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

The ultimate fast car bargain

When I first brought the car it had rusty wheel arches on both sides at the back. I had both of them replaced and re painted professionally.

General Comments:

I only brought this car as a cheap reliable run about, not realizing at the time that it was actually 1 of only 250 limited Champion Edition's.

The seats for me are the best. They are Connelly Recaro full leathers with 2 adjustments for lumbar and upper back support. As I suffer with back problems, these seats are perfect.

I didn't ever think these cars where so rapid till I actually drove one. Even now it scares me when floor the throttle! shame about the handling.

Review Date: 10th September, 2002

1990 Vauxhall Astra L 1.4 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.4 petrol Manual
Previous carFord Sierra

Summary:

Nice little runner

The ignition leads were very old and worn when I purchased the car. These needed to be replaced.

Unfortunately both of the rear brake drums have seized up at different times. This resulted in failure to move the car and great annoyance to myself!

The door locks also seized up too, this could have been due to the foot and mouth disinfectant sprays which were used on the car though.

The car has trouble starting on cold and wet mornings, but gets there in the end!

The front left wheel bearings needed replacing.

Whilst driving along the motorway the aerial came lose from its fittings and fell from the car.

As is to be expected for a car of this age the exhaust, tires and bulbs have needed replacing now and then.

General Comments:

It's a good car, the acceleration is good and I like the way it holds the road under most conditions.

I have been told that the back seat is very spacious for the size of the car.

This isn't very relevant, but I have given the car a pet name. "Chuffy"! Due to the noise it makes when it starts on a cold damp morning.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2002