1999 Vauxhall Astra LS 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheap to run, but the quality can be unreliable

The odometer registered 0 after six months of owning the car. Went back to the dealer for a fix.

Main fault was a water leak. The dealer I purchased it from was unable/unwilling to fix this and another dealer took pity on me and sorted it out. At one point there was an inch and a half of water under the carpets. The fault was caused by welding missed at the factory - surely this is a quality control issue?

Squeaky driver's window.

General Comments:

I like driving the car, it has enough performance for me and it handles very well especially when cornering.

The interior seems cheap and tacky though.

I wish the rear seats folded flat like the ones on my old Mark 3 Astra.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2001

26th Nov 2004, 09:39

I have the same problem with a serious water leak - whereabouts was your missing weld so I can check to see if mine is the smae as I can't find the source at the moment.

Antony Jackson.

1999 Vauxhall Astra LS 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A pocket rocket!

Nothing yet!

General Comments:

This is a very good car with a fair amount of power. It is very reliable as well and comfortable.

Review Date: 24th June, 2001

1999 Vauxhall Astra LS 1.6 8v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Avoid the 1.6 8v at all costs!

No real problems yet, a few squeaks and rattles to sort out.

General Comments:

This is my dad's car which I drive now and again.

The car is OK to drive, but feels rather dull and lifeless, not for anyone with a sporty driving style.

If you are going to buy one avoid the 1.6 8 valve engine which is very slow to pick up and is really for those after economy and relaxed cruising, my Citroen ZX 1.4i is a lot quicker.

I told him he should have bought a Focus!

Review Date: 14th April, 2001

3rd Aug 2004, 15:57

I have the same engine in my astra.. and I really don't think it is that underpowered. Yes, at 90ish MPH the engine is spinning at about 4500rpm, but just turn the radio up. The downside to the low gearing is the fuel economy. You can almost see the fuel gauge moving at high speeds!

1999 Vauxhall Astra Merit 1.7 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It's a good car if you don't mind waiting to get anywhere

This model appears to be trouble for every one who has owned one.

After about 10,000 miles the exhaust falls off at the join near the manifold.

After 20,000 the electronic engine management system fails and for some reason the dealers won't replace or repair it.

After about 50,000 the plastic gear linkage breaks away at the gear box end, again the dealers won't do anything about it until you are towed into a garage by a rescue service.

General Comments:

The model used to be a great car, I've had 5 of them in the past with no problems.

This one is terrible, its top speed going up any gradient will eventually fall to 40 MPH.

Review Date: 9th April, 2001

1999 Vauxhall Astra Club 1.6 8v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic

None.

General Comments:

It's a brilliant car, the only problem is the engine has not got much pick up but that is because it is only an 8 valve. I have been in a 16 valve Astra and that was pretty nippy.

I love the way the car looks from the front in the sun and the back.

We had extra safety features put on our car, they were side airbags and ABS and that was quite cheap.

I think the Astra rival, the Ford Focus looks like a load of crap, especially at the back.

One more thing, the Astra's steering is one of the best things about the car. You get good feedback and it's weighted out very well.

IT'S A BRILLIANT CAR.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2001

1999 Vauxhall Astra Coupe 2.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Totally Awesome :o)

Nothing to date.

General Comments:

Great car all round! Performance is brisk, handling is great, even in some very dodgy weather. Coped with the recent floods like an amphibious vehicle!!

Interior is well styled with plenty of room for most. Practical load carrying ability too, which is a nice change for a coupe.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2000