1993 Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat 2.0L from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent, well worth the money back in 1993

Well the fuel pump recently went; it's £210 including VAT from a main dealer... and the air con gave up on a life a few months ago; that's too much to repair, so I didn't bother. Living up north it's not a problem to be honest.

General Comments:

A 2.0L automatic - it's much better than that bloody 1.3 Escort that we had... and with its sport mode, it does generally beat the ass of most of the new Mercs and BMW's. Considering its had 285,000 on the clock, it's pretty good.. believe it or not it's beaten an xr3i in its day... now its mainly used for taking relatives on days out.. unfortunately.

Having said that, it's the best car I've ever owned, and probably will ever own. I just wish Vauxhall would make it again.

Review Date: 29th April, 2007

1993 Vauxhall Carlton L 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The best car I've ever owned

Indicator stalk has packed in.

General Comments:

This car is cavernous, I have the estate variant. The dog loves it, and he needs space in the back being a lurcher cross. The interior is like brand new and the car has done over 88000 miles, you wouldn't know looking at the seats. I would recommend this car to anyone thinking of buying one. Mine cost £300 and it's the best money I've ever spent on a car. It makes my old Rover look cheap and shabby, the Rover had covered similar miles.

Review Date: 18th July, 2006

20th Jul 2006, 03:26

Couldnt agree more, had one 10 years ago, and still miss it, sold at 200'000 miles and still going strong, great cars and simple.

1993 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The best value you can get in a big second hand car

New radiator at 95,000.

Expansion tank at 98,000.

Fuel regulator at 93,000.

Nothing else apart from consumables.

General Comments:

The best car I have owned, or am likely to own.

Comfortable, great design, cavernous boot, not bad consumption for a big 2-litre and looks gorgeous in satin red.

I would have to spend £25k+ to get the same toys in a recent car (it has electric everything except A/C).

If you get hold of a good one, just make sure you get some waxoyl or similar in the doors and on the under-bonnet chassis rails.

I can fully believe the starship mileages quoted on other reviews as my car sounds the same as when I bought it. At 100k it seems to be just run-in!

Can't see me changing it for years.

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

8th Oct 2005, 20:15

Superb cars, I sold mine with 190,000 miles on it, used it for mini-cabbing years ago, still wasn't using oil.

1993 Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Wish they made the same car today

2 timing belts snapped. But just put another one on - very solid engine 8v.

Fuel tanks - 2 rusted throught, common problem.

Rust in general, doors, around engine.

Lights on dash.

Electric rear window motors.

General Comments:

Watch out for back end spinning out on roundabouts with rear wheel drive.

If they made the dashboard exciting on later levels it would have been a mint car.

Review Date: 25th September, 2005

1993 Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat 2.6i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A lot of motor for the money

The air conditioning has not worked since I bought her, but, living north of the border, that is no great problem.

Brakes wobble a bit and squeal when they get too hot. They have yet to fade though.

Apart from that, save for the money spent on mot items, nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

This car is an absolute gem!

The six cylinder engine is smooth and has enough grunt to entertain.

When I add helium to my right boot the fuel returns are impressive for a big auto (30-40 miles per gallon).

However, when I have the red mist or do town miles this can fall sharply (17-22 miles per gallon).

Top speed so far (on a private road, obviously) is 135 but it was still eager.

The original alloys are back on and a black leather interior has replaced the velour that was in there when I bought it.

Just need to plumb in the playstation.

Shaping up nicely now.