1993 Vauxhall Carlton Diplomat 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

200,000 miles and still going strong!

Cruise control at 130,000.

Air conditioning 170,000.

Exhaust rear & middle 175,000.

Rotar arm and distributer cap 195,000.

Leaks/uses a little oil but not enough to top up between services even after 200,000 miles!

A few water problems with water pumps but these were due to inept non-Vauxhall service.

General Comments:

Comfortable, spacious and loads of toys.

Sluggish off the mark but otherwise quite fast.

Effortless motorway cruising, particularly when you find one empty enough to use the cruise control.

Engine is a little noiser now but otherwise shows little sign of wear despite being pushed hard frequently.

Fuel consumption is a little high when driven hard - get a J reg and dump the cat.

Overall a great car that just goes on and on and...

Review Date: 4th August, 2000

13th May 2001, 04:59

This is a very good car. I have an automatic one which is pretty quick off the mark. Fuel consumption is a little poor at times, but take things easy and you can squeeze 500 miles out of a tank full. Comfortable and lots of toys. I once had a 2.0CDi with 280,000 miles on it and still going strong until someone wrote it off for me. These go on for ever if maintained regularly. The only problem I have had is mid section of exhaust replaced and a couple of bulbs. I think the heater matrix may be leaking, but not 100% sure yet. It isn't losing any water, but has damp carpet and smells of anti freeze. Work that one out? Still going strong at 106,000 miles on a 1993 K plate. Even the Air Con still works.

1993 Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.0i petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A car with excellent comfort, performance and reliability

Heat exchange unit for internal heater replaced in 1999. All other items replaced are the normal consumables, i.e pads, tyres, etc.

General Comments:

The best car I have ever owned or driven. Whilst I now own this car it was originally my company car until I retired in 1996. It was the fifth Carlton allocated to me (by choice) and definitely the best model. It has been maintained with lots of TLC and is in excellent condition. Whilst I have looked at Mercs and Jags, up to £30k I still cannot see what they will offer me as an improvement on this car (except of course the badge to impress others).

Review Date: 7th July, 2000