1994 Vauxhall Corsa Reviews - Page 4 of 7

1994 Vauxhall Corsa LSi 1.2 unleaded from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.2 unleaded Manual
Distance when acquired72000 miles

Summary:

Excellent bargain

The only thing that I feel is wrong with the car is the 5th gear. I find you have to be doing just over 50mph before my car likes to go into 5th.

However, one thing which annoys me is the colour. It's a purple/mauve colour-which i can't find in any car shops.

General Comments:

I think the car is wonderful. It runs quietly, and is reliable.

Review Date: 25th June, 2003

1994 Vauxhall Corsa Merit E-Drive 1.2i from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.2i Manual
Distance when acquired112000 miles

Summary:

A very good little runner

When the car is first started in mornings, it takes a while for it to tick over smoothly.

Car is currently undergoing head gasket replacement.

Spark plugs replaced.

General Comments:

Hopefully, the starting issue will be resolved when the head gasket has been replaced.

Other than that, I was very surprised how how the car performs for only being a 1.2i. The acceleration is surprisingly quick.

I also found the car to be quite roomy for only being a small car. Me being around 6ft, and have ample room.

Review Date: 19th June, 2003

1994 Vauxhall Corsa GSi 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1995
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.6 petrol Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Beetle

Summary:

Skateboard with a rocket engine

Oil seal started leaking on the way to work, drove straight to dealer in Spain Who looked amused at the English badges, and then fixed it immediately under European warranty and gave it a new oil filter and a quick once over - better service than England.

Rear washer went, got it fixed at service free of charge.

Speed dial died on the way to Germany, but got it fixed when I got back to the UK.

Badges and aerial got pinched in Spain because they are too easy to pinch.

Someone tried to break into the boot and failed.

Recall for ripped metal on b pillar by door handle. Welding patches were done and metallic paint was resprayed so I couldn't tell, which is saying something. Started to go again though eventually.

General Comments:

Blistering performance for such a small car, now have a V5 Golf which wouldn't stand a chance against this car. Bit cheap and cheerful inside, no airbags.

Tires act like they are coated in super glue compared to squealing Volkswagen golf, but even this low slung little monster can't beat my lowered '67 beetle in a corner. Now that is like driving a car on rails.

Great fun to drive, very boy racer, new styling isn't as cool as this model.

Cabin was a bit, how can I put it...'snug' lovely comfortable seats though.

Review Date: 17th June, 2003

6th Sep 2004, 16:49

I have got a 1993 Corsa GSI, and I feel that it is the best not only for power, but also the best handling I have had since passing my test!

I have not lost a race against any Saxo VTS or Pug 106 GTi etc etc. This is just awesome!!!

Superchip next, then possibly nitros!!! Watch out Astras and Calibras, this is fast!!!

12th Nov 2005, 03:46

You've beaten 106 GTis and Saxo VTS's?

Then those guys can't drive.

Both of those cars absolutely rape your's any Corsa for power to weight and 0-60.

8th Oct 2006, 18:56

I think a saxo VTS would be quicker than a GSI 16v as standard, but I know you can tune a 1.6 GSI 16v to 200 BHP without the aid of a turbo. Vauxhalls do have good tough engine's.

1994 Vauxhall Corsa GSi 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Manual
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

What a pile of poo!

Engine Missing firing and Hesitating between 3000rpm and 4000rpm, ECU (Engine management) light comes on. Took car to Garage £200 for the TDC (Top Dead Centre) sensor fitted.

The same day got the same problem car went back to garage, the whole ECU had to be re-mapped, another £200!

1 month later ABS sensors went, £75!

Approximately 3 weeks later car started to run on three cylinders, had complete new fuel injectors and fueling system, £300!

2 weeks later car miss firing again and idling erratically, back to my now friends at the garage. Engine flush and oil change to clear now sticking valves, £35.

2 weeks later, back to the garage for the same problem, they ran car on pure gas to clear out cylinder chamber, £75.

They told me that if same problem happened again it would need the valves either replaced or cleaned and polished if possible, this would cost £600-£800.

3 days later car part exchanged now just waiting to pick up new car.

The guys are happy, but poorer!

General Comments:

I sold my 2 year old Fiesta Zetec-S to clear my debts, what a mistake.

This car has been problem after problem, don't buy one.

They are quick when they work which isn't often, but it handles like a banana boat on choppy day.

I've had 3 Vauxhalls before the most recent was a 100,000+ miles Nova Gsi which I had for two years and just got serviced and mot'd once a year, so I'm not that disappointed with Vauxhall.

Apparently the sticking valve problem has just come to light and is happening a lot, has anyone reading this had similar problems?

Review Date: 9th February, 2003

17th Feb 2003, 07:07

Newer Vauxhalls are not of the same standard as the old ones. I traded my faultless 130,000 mile mk2 Cavalier SRi 130 in for a Corsa GSi in 1994 and discovered this within a fortnight. The list of failures, breakdowns and arguments with customer services I experienced over the next year would be funny were they not so serious.

The evidence is pretty damning. Our company has recently struck Vauxhall off its fleet choice list because the last batch of Vectras and Astras spent more time off the road than on it. My friend has recently replaced a 220,000 mile mk2 Astra 1.3 with a spanking 2003 1.4 16v which has already broken down on her, and has an engine management fault that the dealer is struggling with.

As soon as Vauxhall abandoned their superb old 8 valve engines, the rot set in. It's still there now.