2003 Vauxhall Zafira Reviews

2003 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2011
Previous carRenault Clio

Summary:

High maintenance!!!

Issues with the engine management light coming on, and staying on.

Not sure when oil is required, and at one stage, felt that it was drinking as much oil as petrol.

Issues with the central locking, went far and wide to replace the batteries on several occasions, to no avail, and now it's a manual operation.

Recently replaced the starting motor, 2 weeks ago.

The engine seems to have gotten louder and louder; I am told this is the tappets, and I therefore will also need to replace the cam belt, and I am quoted close to £800. With the expense that I have had in the past few months, including service, I am now about to exceed the value of the car. Is £800 a fair market price for tappets and cam belt?

General Comments:

The 7 seats are fantastic, however you can only use 7 seats without luggage; it's one or the other, not both.

I do not know what to do about this car? It now stands me in for so much money, I can't even afford to get rid!!

Review Date: 31st October, 2011

2003 Vauxhall Zafira Design 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Model year2003
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.8i Manual
Distance when acquired62000 miles
Previous carPeugeot 306

Summary:

Happy with it so far, except for this EML issue

Oil leak.

Outside temperature not working.

EML light has come on since Christmas 2010 - fault code P0170.

General Comments:

I own a 2003 1.8i Design, I've had it since April 2010, has just over 67,500 miles on it. Just after the Christmas period, the EML light decided to come on (and has stayed on since). The car, on first starting, seems to be losing power, revs a little erratic, and seems to want to stall (before setting off on journeys). After a few minutes, the car seems to be running better and off I go (with EML light still on constantly). There seems to be a slight power loss, nothing too noticeable once driving, and has so far never cut out ...

I've noticed that the dashboard temp gauge fails to move (despite driving for 20-30 minutes or so). The outside temp readout on the "trip" hasn't worked for about 2 months...

I first thought it may be something to do with the exhaust system, as I know it is on its way out, so I booked it into Kwik Fit for a free check up. The mechanic showed me underneath the car, and the back box and connecting "flange", are pretty "f****d in his words, which they are to be honest, but the rest of the system looked/sounded fine. I am going to get some quotes for these parts of the exhaust anyway, and get that done ASAP.

There is also a little oil leak coming from the "sump?!" (sorry, I am about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to cars).

They did run a diagnostic check for me, which should have cost £35. When I came back to collect my car a good 6 hours later, they came up with the code P0170, which is the fuel trim if I am correct... They didn't charge me anything for this, which I thought was very kind of them. They have also given me the contact details of a local garage they use (which incidentally, is quite close to home).

Before I take it in, I wanted to see if anyone knew what it could be causing this problem, to save the mechanic time, and myself money in solving this issue (aside from already mentioned exhaust). I live in Somerset, if that is of any help??

The car is due for its MOT and service in April...

Review Date: 14th January, 2011

2003 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2003

Summary:

Nightmare

I have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 03 plate. I have had no end of problems with the car. I have had to have the EGR valve blocked off last year.

The problem with the car at the moment is the revs are always going up and down. I have had numerous mechanics try and fix the problem, but to no avail. The problem is now getting that bad I don't want to drive the car.

If I put my foot on clutch and brake when stopping, the revs go right down and the car stalls on me, which is not good when I am on busy roads. I can't seem to get the problem fixed, and when the mechanic takes a look, there is always another problem with the car, but nothing ever solves the problem with the revs.

Hopefully someone will find the problem soon before the car is too bad to drive.

General Comments:

No end of problems from day 1 with the car.

Review Date: 9th September, 2009

10th Sep 2009, 07:51

Replace the throttle control valve, common problem.

10th Sep 2009, 09:20

Since you are in the UK, your country is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. Take my advice & drop that piece of junk in there right now!

10th Sep 2009, 17:29

Have you tried to clean the throttle body? Sometimes if there's a lot of gunk in there, it can cause stalling. I've had that problem before with a different car.

25th Feb 2010, 05:03

I brought a Zafira 1.6 Club in 2006. It broke down so many times with the same problems; engine management light lit up, the cat has been replaced, and also the coil pack.

It has only done 33,000 miles. The engine has just been partially stripped down, and they say it's got slight wear to the rings. When it did run, it had high petrol consumption and used oil.

Has anybody else had these problems, and knows how to fix them please?