2003 Vauxhall Zafira Reviews - Page 2 of 4

2003 Vauxhall Zafira Elegance 2.0 DTi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 DTi turbo diesel Manual
Most recent distance82000 miles
Previous carRover - Austin Coupe

Summary:

Excellent and reliable runner

I always wanted to buy a Zafira, as they are what I needed, as I have 4 kids.

The day I bought the car, I was on the motorway doing 70 mph, and yes the EMS light came on and the computer switched to limp home mode. After pulling over and switching off, then restarting, it was fine for a couple of weeks, then did it again on the motorway. Vauxhall didn't listen to me when I explained what was happening, and did diagnostics without asking and then tried to charge me 45 quid, which I didn't pay for as I didn't ask for this. Then they tried to charge me 600 quid to have the car in and change the turbo. (I'm a mechanic myself so knew the turbo wasn't faulty). After heated words at the garage, I got a new EGR valve and fitted it, thus eliminating the problem.

Since fitting the new valve, I've had no problems with the car. Excellent runner and bloody quick off the mark after installing a Superchip and getting the turbo serviced.

Never take your car to Vauxhall, always go to a small garage as Vauxhall manipulate you into paying rip off prices.

Heath Paige.

General Comments:

Interior isn't much to speak about, but is comfy for long drives.

Review Date: 27th August, 2009

22nd Feb 2010, 17:02

Hey,

I wonder if anyone can help? Any idea how many miles should I get out of Vauxhall Zafira Club 2.0 DTi on 52 reg?

It is only doing me between 25-30 mpg, which I think far too low.

Any idea or advice?

24th Mar 2010, 04:53

Hi there, I have a 1.9 DTi, and mine is doing around 45 to the gallon... you are either driving it to hard, or if not that, I would expect you are in limp mode; maybe you need a new EGR valve, easy job to do yourself.

3rd Jun 2010, 16:04

I bought a 2004 2.0 DTi Astravan from a Vauxhall dealer in 2006. I drove it home and the spanner light came on. I took it to Vauxhall under warranty; they stuck it on their machine, told me it was the EGR valve and that it wasn't covered, They even tried charging me for the diagnosis. I bought one from ebay for £205 and fitted it myself, much cheaper than the £563 quoted by Vauxhall. After this it has always run perfect.

2003 Vauxhall Zafira Elegance 2.0 DTi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 DTi turbo diesel Manual
Previous carRover - Austin 400

Summary:

Would be a very nice car, but for the small problems I'm having with it

My engine management light kept coming on intermittently, but seems to have sorted itself out now after spotting loose fuses in the fuse box.

Now the alarm has a mind of its own, and tends to trigger at the most inconvenient times; IE two or three in the morning.

I took the car to a Vauxhall dealership and their mechanic says that he identified 15 error codes, and wanted 140 pounds plus VAT to have a further look.

But it's funny, cos since the mechanic identified the error codes, is when the alarm has started playing up.

General Comments:

Seats are comfy.

Very quick and cheap to run.

Generally tidy car.

Review Date: 6th January, 2009

2003 Vauxhall Zafira GSI Turbo 2.0 turbo from UK and Ireland

Model year2003
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Manual
Previous carVauxhall Zafira

Summary:

Superb; tempted by the new version

Problems with petrol gauge going up and down; can get in and the light flashes for low fuel 5 minutes, but later you have a quarter of a tank!

General Comments:

Superb performance; acceleration is great, beats many boy racers at the lights, but drinks petrol, averaging 25 miles per gallon.

Tyres are a pain in the backside; low profile 17 inch, which cost an arm and a leg.

Review Date: 27th August, 2007

2003 Vauxhall Zafira Elegance 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carFord Mondeo

Summary:

A great family car

Washer bottle clogged up because of 'over-use of windscreen washer fluid'

General Comments:

I've just sold this car to a dealer, but what a great 4 years we've had with the car. We ordered the grey interior rather than the black, and it made a huge difference by lightening up the interior of the car.

Nothing electrical or mechanical failed in the 4 years we had the car. The car even had the original brake pads still on (only just).

We've had 6 people in the car plus 3 suitcases and 2 sports bags.. no problem, the car truly is much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside.

The flex seven seating may not suit all, as you have to get all of the middle row people out to allow the rear passengers to exit. If doing school runs with young kids, this could be irritating. However if you only use the extra seats for a few family trips a year with gran and grandpa, it's not a problem.

You can change the car into a mini van quickly by sliding the middle bench forward, rather than adjusting 3 midle row individual seats as seen in many other MPV's.

Compared with the old Zafira, the new Zafira is lower than the previous model, and the dash has soft squishy buttons where the markings on them are sure to rub off, plus you can't get a gray interior. The new black interior looks too dull and gloomy...

The only faults with the car were that fifth gear was geared too low and the fuel economy. We'd only get 25 mpg around town. The most we ever got was 40 mpg out of the car.

So bye bye to a fantastic MPV. Would we buy a new Zafira? No - the new model isn't a real improvement over what was a very clever design. It's a Kia Carens for us this time!

Review Date: 14th March, 2007