2013 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5 from North America

Comfortable, zippy, fun

None so far.

General Comments:

Makes me smile every time I drive it. It's not super powerful, it has a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder, but I got the 5-speed manual, and I'm actually glad it's the way it is, because it makes it more fun for every day driving. You can really rev it up, work through the gears. Makes a trip to the grocery store a blast. You can drive it like an economy car and it goes along fine, or you can really put your foot down, rev the engine, and drive it hard, the car doesn't mind, it loves to be driven.

It is amazingly comfortable for its size. I'm 6 ft 2in, and I can put the seat back far enough I can barely reach the pedals if I wanted. I think pretty much anyone can be comfortable driving this car. Not so sure about the back seats. They're OK once you're in them, but getting in and out is not easy. But for 1 or 2 people it's no problem.

The cabin feels very open and roomy. Tons of headroom, even with the sunroof. Lots of amenities, and the VW-Tex vinyl fake leather looks great but is so easy to clean; perfect if you have a dog like I do.

Awesome sounding stereo, and you can even change the color that the speakers and interior light up, from red, white, or blue.

Great road trip car. I have driven it for 20 hours at a time, and the seats are typical German, nice and firm and comfortable.

It gets lots of looks constantly. And people will talk to you at random. It has the looks of the old Beetle with the modern comforts and convenience of a new VW. This is not my first VW, but probably one of the most fun VWs I have owned. Comfortable, fun to drive, roomy for a car of its size, and it gets great gas mileage. What's not to love.

Review Date: 8th October, 2016

11th Oct 2016, 09:53

I have had 6. Both Beetle and Super Beetle. The newer ones are not as reliable. I have a relative that has had many issues with more than one. I doubt she will buy another. The best years to own in my opinion are the 74 Super or 73 Beetle. Even 1 year apart they were different handling, but the same great motor. They had more power than earlier models and just ran and ran. We had a 75 and it changed and was far less reliable. So if you can find a decent 73-74, grab it. Parked side by side they were both beige, but one was darker.

The thing you have to watch is rust. The front end components struts cost more to service than a plain Beetle or Bug; your choice in its name. My earliest was a 63 Karmann Ghia; a really cool little car. Even with only 30 HP vs our later 60 HP. Bodywork is difficult with its integral fenders. I know this is a newer review. I still feel going back 42 years you would find an exceptional daily driver. In winters the rear engine never got stuck. I drove mine in extreme heat and air cooled was great. The cars had pretty good ventilation with large windows with wing windows. Even without air conditioning in mine.

Good luck.