2008 Volkswagen GTI Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Semi-Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corvette

Summary:

It's an O.K. car

The DSG double clutch transmission makes a click sound when it returns to first gear.

The radio can't be seen at night without the headlights on. I work at night.

The blue-green lights on the instrument panel. They're too dim.

No lever to recline the front seats back. It has a knob you twist like a jar lid.

You can't turn off the daytime running lights.

Poor brakes.

A blind spot you can hide a bus in.

Paint chips easily.

General Comments:

The car is fun to drive. But it has an all or nothing philosophy when it comes to speed. It's either too fast or too slow during everyday driving. There isn't an in between or normal driving mode to it.

The fuel economy on the highway is actually worse than my Corvette. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true.

I bought this car because I needed something more practical. But I just wish I would have kept my Corvette.

Review Date: 18th June, 2011

25th Apr 2012, 15:23

You didn't notice any of this before you bought the car?

Also, all DSGs click when coming to a stop, it's the clutch disengaging.

Your Corvette got better MPG because of gearing, 6th gear on a Vette is purely for fuel economy. Lots of power plus a light car with proper gearing = good MPG.

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2.0 TFSI from North America

Year of manufacture2008
Engine and transmission 2.0 TFSI Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Fast, well made and fun

General Comments:

A nice performance oriented car.

The finish could be a little nicer, and the stock radio is a little cumbersome to use.

Chipped, it'll make your passengers scream.

Maintenance is a bit high, but that's the price of owning a performance tuned car. The parts will eventually wear out, and you'll want to replace them before they fail. Follow the scheduled maintenance intervals and don't be stupid, and the car will last you forever.

Review Date: 18th March, 2009

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2.0 FSI from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 2.0 FSI Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

Fast, reliable, and beautiful

The only thing I can say bad about this car is the cloth and cloth side panels scratch very easily.

Also the paint quality could be better, and the car interior quality could be better.

General Comments:

This car handles like no other, and it's also very quick. When I leased this car, I had a choice of getting the GTI in silver auto or the black with the 6 speed on the lot in October 2007. I had to get it in black. When I first looked at the car, I didn't know if I liked the body style, but when I looked a little closer it was beautiful. So far it's been about a year and there haven't been any problems with it, besides a flat tire.

The cost isn't cheap to fuel this baby up with premium gas, but it well worth because it gets better mpg. If you're planning on not changing your own oil, you're going to pay $120+ for the dealership to do it.

The dashboard and the look of the interior is awesome, it's a eye catcher. I'm planning on buying it after 2 years if doesn't have serious break down, which I don't think it will because this car is solid.

Everyone likes it. I haven't met someone that didn't like it. Also it can keep up with the WRX.

It's pretty roomy for a small car, but if you're over 6 feet it might not have enough room for you. The backseats don't fold down the whole way, which could be a problem if you're trying to fit anything big in the back.

Another thing I love about this car is the blue gauges. I saw they are changing them to white for the 2010 GTI. Why change something that looks good?

If you want something fast, reliable and that looks good, the 2008 GTI is what you need to get.

Review Date: 19th November, 2008