VW no longer means quality and I will NEVER buy another one. But if you don't believe me, read on. I’ve never kept a log, but now I’m going to after this car (best guesses on costs and mileage).
• Cheap, cheap, cheap (did I mention cheap) brakes. <cost me - $500 at 30K, gonna have to do everything again, costing me $1200 - and I drive with the clutch).
• Laughable, poor electrical system (the headlights dim when you open/close a window) <didn’t fix>
• Cheap wiper blades – replaced at 5K
• Floor mats keep popping off mounts
• Cheap drivetrain - tires, shocks, struts. <Tires cost me - $450, shocks and struts if I do ‘em - $1000-$1100)
• Poor fuel system (entirely rebuilt at 70K) <cost me - $900> Still runs rough or has problems starting sometimes.
• Glove compartment broke <didn’t fix – would have cost $200>
• Mirror switch broke off <Cost me - $35>
• Catalytic convert broke <Cost me - $500> (started with a light rattle at 60K and just got progressively worse)
• Center arm rest broke <didn’t fix – cost was $150)
• Mass air flow sensor replaced <cost me - $150> also had the O2 replaced, think that ran me like $50. You can expect to do this every 1/2 year or so.
• AC needs recharging almost every year <at $150 a pop, I use it sparingly>
• Front Driver door rattles - <lived with it since I’ve heard of too many failures of people trying to get it fixed>
• Check engine light is on so often that I’ve given up trying to make it go off (waiting for it to burn out).
• Back lights (brake, driving, and turn) cheap, all died before 50,000. Too bad the check engine light isn't cheap.
• Front grill pops off and I have to snap it back on every now and then.
• The front door locks stick sometimes (so the car doesn’t lock)
• Rear cup holder broke (we’ve used it maybe 3 times!)
• Various squeaks and rattles too annoying to find/fix/pay for
• It's a pain to keep clean.
After 5 years of ownership (loan, costs, insurance, repairs) – almost $40,000. Here's how it breaks down:
Above and beyond needed repairs: +$3000
Additional, would be nice to have, repairs - +$2500.
Yearly costs – $7310, which break down to:
Payments - $392.50 monthy, $4710 yearly
Gas – 600 gal @ $2.15 per - ~$1300
Insurance - $800 a year
Oil changes, tune-ups and misc wear and tear per year - $500.
What I’m waiting for to fail next:
• Fuel system (it’s running rough again)
Good points –
• Looks good
• Stereo is loud (hides the squeaks and rattles)
• 34 MPG.
It used to be fun to drive, now I’m just waiting for the next big bill.