2004 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Wagon from North America

Summary:

A long term car

Seat heater pads were recalled. When we got the car back from the dealer, the driver's seat overheated. Too hot on the one side.

There was a recall with the water pump, which was replaced under warranty.

Radio failed. Bought an aftermarket one with Bluetooth.

Glow plugs replaced. Oil changes. Brakes. Tires. Windshield. Replaced headlight assemblies, which improved night vision as the old ones were faded and scratched.

The car has been driven mostly on the coast, but has also seen -20 Celsius annually.

No corrosion on any body parts or components.

General Comments:

The car has been excellent. Still has original clutch after 244000km. The only issues I had were electrical, and that was after I put a programmer in for extra fuel economy. Once I took it out, all was good.

We are in the process of putting new brakes in and detailing the car. Plan to keep it for another 244000.

Wish the back seat was a little bigger. A car seat installed equals the front seat being pushed forward a little more than I'd prefer.

Also the front end is low and heavy. I bought a skid plate, so when it bottoms out we won't damage the oil pan. It bottoms out leaving gas stations, even when going slow. A friend of mine bought a 2003 TDI sedan and had the same problem, except he broke 2 oil pans (he didn't buy the skid plate). The one I bought was aluminum and they sent it online. Works well.

Approximately 900km per tank.

Review Date: 17th February, 2014

2004 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 TDI from North America

Summary:

I kept it partly to see if it could possibly be true that a car can be this bad

Turbo started leaking and was replaced.

Clutch blew while downshifting and was towed.

Water pump and radiator fell out on highway, and it was towed.

Engine started clicking, so the camshaft was replaced.

Shocks broke while driving.

Trouble lights were on at least 4 or 5 other times.

Steering rack recently failed.

Emergency brakes needed to be replaced.

We had this car serviced religiously, did not drive it hard and kept it garaged. Have spent 14000 on repairs. Would have been 4000 higher, but I used a local VW guy. The car rides well and the mileage is great.

Overall the worst car imaginable. Have spent more on repairs than the last 12 cars I have owned or own.

Review Date: 7th November, 2013

8th Nov 2013, 18:30

Of course it can! If it was designed and built by VAG.

27th Jan 2014, 09:09

Better check the skills of "your local VW guy"... I have several VWs (and several in the past), serviced them at the authorized dealer, and have NEVER had parts falling off, etc.

2004 Volkswagen Jetta TDI turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

Best car... so far

Never had a problem with this car. Good for a first car.

I just had to buy a new turbo at 122K. Now my check engine light keeps turning on. I think it has something to do with my hose. It also makes a "pssssssss" noise behind my front right tire side. I think it may have to do also with my turbo hose/leak?

General Comments:

This car is really good for a first car. Good on diesel.

Review Date: 14th October, 2013

2004 Volkswagen Jetta from North America

Summary:

Would not buy another VW

Multiple problems - different problems each time. Hoping this last repair will keep it running for a while, but I have my doubts...

Sometime in the Summer of 2010 - alternator replaced.

9/18/10 - Check engine light comes on. Mechanic diagnosed multiple codes that were related to a TSB. Performed the fix for $278.81. Said he hoped that would also clear out some of the other codes, but wasn't completely confident that it would.

9/22/10 - Making a whirring noise. Replaced 2nd air pump, hose and other related parts. $788.66.

9/25/10 - Check engine light back on again. This time, converter, 02 sensor and related parts. $1241.28.

10/06/10 - My repairmen starting to think I have a crush on him! More problems, timing belt, water pump, and tune-up to the tune of $1175.00.

12/22/10 - I stayed away for almost 3 months before returning to give the shop more money. Error codes again. Light cleared by the time I got to the shop, but ended up getting more work done over new year's holiday. I believe it was a fuel injector pump - can't find the receipt, but at least a couple hundred.

7/5/11 - Wow, almost half a year went by with no repairs. I missed giving my money away to mechanics, so I was delighted when the check engine light came back on. This time, they say it is the throttle body. $1100.

My boyfriend tells me it would be cheaper to buy a whole car than to buy one part at a time. He may be on to something. In the meantime, hoping this is the last repair for awhile. Keeping fingers crossed. when I do buy a new car, it sure as heck won't be a VW. Also lots of minor problems. These were just the biggies.

General Comments:

Running poorly for the past year. Numerous fixes later, and it's still running poorly.

Review Date: 5th July, 2011