1999 Volkswagen Passat Reviews - Page 19 of 19

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.8T Automatic
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

I love my Passat!

The snap on the floor mat ripped off almost immediately.

The glove compartment door wasn't installed quite right and squeaked a lot. The dealer fixed it when I mentioned it to him. Other than that, everything has been great.

General Comments:

I enjoy this car quite a bit. It's very comfortable for long road trips and it survives a daily 30 mile commute on one of Chicago's busiest tollways.

My only complaints are the flimsy and badly positioned cupholders and the fabric on the seats that grabs lint and won't let go.

I've been incredibly happy with the service I have received with this vehicle. I've worked with three different dealers (we move a lot). One in Bloomington, Indiana, one in Chicago, Illinois, and one in Downer's Grove, Illinois. All were very helpful and courteous. Because of the high level of dealer service, we have purchased a second VW - a 2001 Beetle.

Review Date: 7th December, 2000

30th May 2006, 02:43

I live in Bloomington, IN now and the dealership has been great to me so far. Aside from having to jump through hoops to get through to customer service, I love my car and the dealer... so far.

1999 Volkswagen Passat Comfortline 1.9 TDI 115 from Spain

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.9 TDI 115 Manual
Previous carFord Scorpio

Summary:

A real traveller's car

It lost refrigeration fluid. They fixed it.

Water pump failed at 22000 km, dealer fixed it under warranty.

General Comments:

Realy nice car. Fast considering it's a diesel. Nice engine. Comfortable car.

It had that water pump mechanical failure, but I hope that's the last failure it will have.

Really good mileage.

Review Date: 31st August, 2000

1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 Turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 Turbo

The car was delivered with a leaking clutch and a leaking brake booster which required 5 repair attempts by the dealer. Also numerous body fit and finish issues. Windshield developed stress crack which VW has flatly refused to replace. The company and its US dealer network have not stood behind the vehicle. Every warranty related problem with the vehicle results in months of phone calls, letters, meetings, service appointments, etc. to resolve what are clear-cut product defects that should be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. My personal experience is that the company is more concerned with limiting their warranty costs than in satisfying the customer.

General Comments:

Overall the Passat is a substantial and satisfying vehicle within its market position, but VW needs to concentrate more on quality, reliability, and customer service.

Review Date: 23rd September, 1999