2000 Volkswagen Passat Sport 1.9 TDI (90) from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best old car you can buy, fact

Nothing.

General Comments:

Best car I've ever owned, considering that I only paid 500 euro for it, and now I have had it 2 years with over 200k on it, and nothing has gone wrong with it. That must say something about the older shape B5 Passats.

I have heard people saying ohh you should have purchased a Honda or a Toyota, they're much better, but all I can say to them is these Passats are much better than the older Toyotas of that time; they have a better quality interior, and the old 1.9 TDI engine is by far the most reliable engine Volkswagen ever made; to this day it's bulletproof.

I service it every 5k, and it's still going like a dream, and for a car with such high miles, it drives like new. All it needed to pass the NCT was tyres and that was it.

If you are reading this and are thinking of getting a Passat, just get one and service it, and it will last longer that almost any car on the road today.

Review Date: 29th September, 2014

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS/E ?? from North America

Summary:

Great, safe, economical

My late brother bought it new. Sold to me at 80K after all of the dealer service and a little local VW specialist service was completed. Superbly maintained.

Car was and is immaculate. CEL has been on for years, faulty EBS, means nothing as most should know. I feel like I need front shocks/alignment, and it will be my first repair in 50K plus.

The 5-speed manual is tight and very responsive. The 150-HP motor is really great. I get 30 to 34.5 MPG all the time. I never step on the motor, but I am sure that it will do 110 or more if I ever asked.

I was concerned about the sludge related failures with the Passats of this era, but with regular oil changes there has never been a hint. I think hints were not part of that... I changed to Mobil 1 in 2010, when I got the car, and all is well.

NYC roads have led me to believe that some new front shocks may be in order.

The CEL ABS phony alert is really the only issue, and it is bogus.

My non sludger is a Godsend. A great VW, Canadian made, but just GREAT.

Review Date: 5th February, 2013

2000 Volkswagen Passat Comfort 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Had to replace the CV joints, timing belt and engine hoses. For a year, I was experiencing stalling when braking at low speeds, this was due to a faulty airflow sensor. The car also drank oil by the bucket load.

General Comments:

Although the 1.6 Passat wasn't the quickest in a straight line, it was very comfortable, like a sofa on wheels.

The road handling through corners was brilliant, and the built quality was excellent. In the end, I traded it in for a Golf GTI.

Review Date: 10th October, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8L from North America

Summary:

I love it!

I've had my car for 3 years, and had absolutely nothing go wrong with it. I love it to pieces.

Just now the check engine light came on with the "check emissions" words flashing. We plugged er in and it read Cylinder No. 3 misfire. The coil was not the problem, tried putting a newer one in. But then I haven't changed the spark plugs since I bought it, or checked the wire connections.

General Comments:

Volkswagens are awesome cars.

I HIGHLY recommend to not go have your car fixed at your VW dealer. They said they would charge 1,200 bucks to do my timing belt replacement! So I called some local mechanics, and eventually I found a guy that just loved the cars and offered to do it for 675 bucks and with a 3 year warranty. I mean the belts are supposed to last 100,000 miles. And he threw in a water pump, and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo they throw in there while there down there.

I asked him how much the parts cost for him. Around 300 bucks. So think how much the dealer is getting for profit!

Review Date: 8th March, 2010