2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 turbo gas from North America

Summary:

Great, stylish, comfortable, quiet car

Plastic shield underneath engine compartment came loose twice. Dealer fixed free.

Power door locks a little sticky sometimes - driver door lock doesn't lock, and you have to unlock and re-lock.

Exhaust manifold crack at around 47K.

General Comments:

Handling is sporty and sure.

Seats are very comfortable.

Very quiet cabin - no road or wind noise.

All these have a problem with slight hesitation off the line with the automatic.

One of the best looking designs ever - copied by other makes.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2004

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T from North America

Summary:

Passat has fine German engineering and luxury feel

Nothing has gone wrong with the car since I purchased it. At 40K, I replaced the rear brake pads (pricey at the dealer, but cheap if you DIY). And I also put in new Bosch platinum spark plugs. Shortly thereafter, the car misfired and a trouble light came on. I took it into the shop and was told that the OE-style iridium plugs are a necessity. So, I put a set back in the car and haven't had any issues since.

General Comments:

This is an outstanding vehicle. Great build quality and features for the price. Very comfortable and reliable. And I average 30+ mpg with the turbo four and manual tranny. It handles well, though it's still a family car. Overall, I'd say this is one of the best options out there for a midsize car. An Accord or Camry will always have the edge when it comes to reliability, but they're so dull. The Passat is a classy, fun to drive alternative to the hordes of generic Asian sedans available.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2004

2000 Volkswagen Passat l.8 GLS 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

If the check engine light illuminates, keep records you may have a lemon.

The check engine light icon illuminated intermittently since the purchase of the vehicle.

At 62,000 miles the vehicle began to lose power with acceleration.

At 66,742 miles vehicle flashed, warning low oil pressure, warning coolant, stop engine.

At 66,742 miles oil sludge.

General Comments:

I purchased my 2000 Volkswagen Passat l.8 GLS new. I purchased an extended warranty plan and the life time oil change contract.

The car was attractive and gasoline mileage was acceptable.

The car required repeated service diagnostics for illumination of the check engine icon.

August 18,2004, the car began to lose power during acceleration. According to the service advisor some of the hoses need replacing, but was not a necessity.

October 15, 2004, vehicle indicated, warning low oil pressure and warning coolant. According to the service advisor because the car did not get oil changes every 5000 miles exactly, the results was oil sludge in the engine.

The oil sludge was not covered by the extended warranty and the cost to repair is $9000.

Review Date: 27th October, 2004

2nd Nov 2004, 14:41

I have had similar problems with oil sludge. I am at 31,000 miles, and my indicator light and stop indicator have been illuminating. When I took the car to the dealership to diagnose the problem, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. I continued to drive the car until the engine started to hesitate. Now I am being told that I have oil sludge issues, and that the repairs will not be covered under my dealer or extended warranties. I am researching the issue, and am finding that this has been happening a lot with the Passat.

2000 Volkswagen Passat Sport 1.9tdi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

All rounder which can give the heavyweights a good run for their money

Nothing as yet.

General Comments:

Coming from my old car to this one was a leap.

Main points :

Solid

Reassuring to drive

Excellent road handling

Responsive controls - accelerator, brake

Turbo kicks in when required

Gear box changes are very precise

Very frugal figures, 45mpg around town, 55-58mpg long distance, 600+ miles from full tank

Good seating, bucket seats

Dash controls are within touching distance

Climate control is excellent

Stereo is good - GAMMA 8 speaker system

Trim level is good

Insurance group 11.

Can floor it with no problems, 100mph is smooth as sailing on air.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2004