2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

Too expensive to maintain after 8 years

ABS module faulty, ABS and brake light on.

Front left upper control arm joint loose, bad alignment while driving.

Back right window off track, won't roll down.

Floor plug broke under driver seat, car flooded during rain.

Check engine light on, diagnosed as code P1117 or P1113.

Cracked windshield.

Regularly declining gas mileage.

General Comments:

My 2000 VW Passat 1.8 T is a great little car, but being 10 years old, I'm not surprised the list of problems is adding up.

When I got the car from my aunt in 2008, the back right window didn't roll down, but it rolled up when it finally dropped while I am driving. Also, the ABS and brake lights were on, and it was due, she said, to a faulty ABS module. The windshield had been cracked from right to left for 4 years already, and I still haven't gotten it replaced.

The C.E.L. would come and and go off frequently, but recently it has stayed on. When I used a code reader it gave me code P1113 (O2S sensor heater resistance too high bank 1 sensor 1). Then I took it to AAMCO, and they said they got the code P1117, which they said meant bank 1 sensor 2 internal resistance too high, and it's a problem on one of the sides of my engine, but all the definitions for P1117 I've found say it means O2S sensor heater circuit short to ground bank 1 sensor 2. So... ya.

And finally, when it recently rained, the whole left side of my car under my driver seat flooded with rain water. So a mechanic pulled up all the carpet and found a plug broke open on the floor, and water was shooting up into the car while I was driving. I had to take the carpet and installation out of the whole car, and hang it out to dry.

UUGGH!

Review Date: 24th January, 2010

2000 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 from North America

Summary:

Not worth the trouble and expense

At 80K and 9 years, everything is falling apart.

General Comments:

This car is a money pit. It was a steady list of expenses for the first 80K, then the car seemed to completely fall apart.

I had hoped in 2000, VW had corrected their quality issues, but I can see from this years reviews they still don't have it right.

This car has turned out to be as reliable as a Chrysler, but more expensive to fix. I'm sticking with Honda and Toyota from now on.

Review Date: 13th August, 2009

2000 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 1.9T from North America

Summary:

Never again will I own a VW

We averaged about $2000US annually on "fixes" for this car until the most recent problems - the timing belt going out at 91000. If I was the original owner, VW would have been responsible for fixing the car (up to 100K miles) - but since I was the second owner - my only recourse was putting a new engine in it at my expense - nice little $5K fix.

General Comments:

I would not purchase a VW in an area that only has once dealership and limited "experts" in the area. As with most German cars, they are great feats of engineering and very fun to drive when they are working - but also very costly to keep them running.

Review Date: 16th June, 2009

12th Oct 2009, 15:46

You waited too long to replace the timing belt. Most experienced VW mechanics recommend replacing the belt between 60-80K miles.

31st Jul 2012, 12:43

Timing belt in my Toyota was original, and was replaced at 225k miles.

2000 Volkswagen Passat 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

Great

Small tube that burst due to wear in the engine, caused the "Check Engine" light to go on. $80 dollar repair for a plastic tube about 6 cm long.

Headlight beam is off, headlights not very powerful overall.

Faulty dash lights.

5/8 speakers actually work.

General Comments:

Car is very comfortable, has very good suspension.

The very basic dashboard has everything I could possibly want on it, and it is very easy to find what you're looking for without being distracted.

1.8 turbo engine may be slightly underpowered, however it has more than enough for highway+city driving. Tiptronic also helps.

Attention to detail is nice, metal door handles and every occupant has his/her own headrest, reading lamp.

Heated front seats and has four standard airbags.

Speakers sound great, even if only 5 out of 8 actually work.

Some dash lights don't work, I don't really mind.

Multi-function trip computer comes in use, shows instant consumption, average consumption, average speed, driving time, driving distance, outside temperature, and gives warnings as well.

Review Date: 15th March, 2009