2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 2.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

I enjoy most everything about my VW Passat, except for some mechanical issues

After having the brakes and rotors replaced, about 1500 miles later, I noticed that the instrument panel began flashing "Brake Fault," then "Stop," and then "Check Manual." At first the warning lights came on periodically, Later they came on more regularly. I had the vehicle checked with computer testing equipment and nothing was found to be wrong.

Now, every time I start the car, there's three (3) beeps and then those messages appear and don't go away till the engine is shut off. In the mean time, the brakes appear to be fine and work excellently. Twice my sensor module was checked and found to be okay. Other that the annoying warning lights and beeps, the brakes are great.

My vehicle is a 2001 VW Passat with the 2.8 V6 engine, and it has 4 motion for the drive system.

I really like my Passat, but wish the annoying problem would go away.

General Comments:

My Passat handles great and has plenty of power.

I don't like the cost of repairs, though!

There are some odd ball issues with this vehicle.

Review Date: 24th September, 2009

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T from North America

Summary:

Junk!!!

CV boots busted, $600.

Starter, $300.

Ignition coils replaced twice, $1600+

Oil cooler mixed oil in with coolant; new cooler and 3 flushes to get it clean, $1000.

Suction pump, $250.

Leaky pollen air filter let gallons of water into my car, dealership replaced due to recall and the $2,000 plus in damages to electrical system, but left the moldy ruined carpet.

Eats low profile tires like candy.

General Comments:

This car is a nightmare. Run away!!! Do not buy unless you love breaking down every 3-4 months and throwing money away. The most expensive car to fix. $27 spark plugs!!!

Review Date: 22nd September, 2009

11th Aug 2010, 08:28

I 100% agree with you!

This is the worst car I have ever owned, and now I have to dump it with a balance remaining on my loan, after throwing most of my savings into repairs over the past 3 years...terrible!

I don't think companies should be allowed to produce junk like this, and then monopolize the parts for replacement. All parts are at least double in price to most cars, and I am in the repair shop probably every 3 months with a major repair.

Buyer beware!

2001 Volkswagen Passat PD 1.9 130bhp turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Never buy a VW EVER!!!

Sensors kept playing up, specialist couldn't find a fault for weeks, glow plugs, burning oil, blowing blue smoke out of the exhaust, suspension, brakes sensors playing up.

In total, for having the car a year, this car cost me £2000. The turbo had to be replaced along with hoses, which was costly.

Would never touch another Volkswagen, even if I was paid.

General Comments:

Yeah OK the car was pretty rapid, it is comfy, and nice to look at, but that's the only things I can say. The car spent more time in the garage than it did on the road.

Review Date: 16th April, 2009

2001 Volkswagen Passat Highline Black Label 1.9 TDI 130 HP from Netherlands

General Comments:

Love it, at the time I purchased it to get transportation for a few months, however the car turned out to be so good and reliable that I will see the half a million kilometer mark.

With a lub oil consumption of 1 liter per 25000 kilometer, long service intervals and nothing going wrong with the electronics.

A very reliable tool.

The only disappointing thing about the car is its handling, it has absolutely no French or Italian roadholding!

Love the heated seats, the cruise control, and the fuel consumption of 5.8 liters per 100 kilometers.

Review Date: 16th December, 2008

2001 Volkswagen Passat V5 saloon 2.4 V5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not a lot I can say. Would like to claim off Volkswagen

Engine to drive section.

Service lights.

Fuel problem.

Main agent problems.

Etc etc.

General Comments:

Don't buy a second hand Passat. Mine looked immaculate and had a full service history. One owner. Dealers not too interested in helping.

Review Date: 17th September, 2008