2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

Not a car for long haul ownership

Check engine light and emission control lights.

General Comments:

Liked the car and the utility it offered in being able to transport 2 German Shepherds and humans very comfortably over long distance drives.

Gas mileage was pretty good, averaging 27 mpg on long hauls, with 24 mpg averaging in mixed driving.

Liked how the steering became heavier the faster the car was driven. Felt planted and secure at speeds.

The turbo had some noticeable lag, especially when taking off from a standstill, necessitating a more eager push of the accelerator pedal.

Unfortunately today, while driving the dogs to their off leash hike, the engine compartment combusted, requiring a 911 call to extinguish the flames on a vehicle with only 78,000 miles!

Review Date: 6th November, 2010

2001 Volkswagen Passat V6 from North America

Summary:

I would not buy this model or vintage again

Water drains plugged and filled up the interior under the seats, causing control module failures.

Has consumed oil, but shows no evidence of leak or smoking out exhaust; dealer cannot diagnose.

General Comments:

The water damage to modules continues to manifest itself in other areas such as climate controls etc...

For only having 30K miles, the suspension has gone very mushy.

Review Date: 7th August, 2010

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4-motion Sedan 2.8 from North America

Summary:

I love the car, but it's getting too expensive to fix

Check engine light was on when I purchased the vehicle from a used car dealer. At the time there was some sort of recall going on, and the dealer brought the car to a VW dealer, who claimed there was nothing wrong with the catalytic converters. Cleared the codes, and the check engine light was back in only 2 days.

This light has been on every day since I've had the car. It runs great, never had any issues until it was time for state inspection. It failed due to faulty catalytic readings. It says not up to standards.

Brought the car to a very reputable repair facility, and got an estimate to replace the catalytic converters of approximately $1800.00; $1500 of which were just the 2 converters. I think VW should step up and cover the repairs, since they said it was OK when the place I bought it from took to them when it only had 72000 miles on it.

Review Date: 28th July, 2010

28th Jul 2010, 14:18

That's a 9-year old car done 120K miles/193K km, how long do you expect it to be brand new?

28th Jul 2010, 16:49

You bought the car from a used dealer when it had 72,000 miles on it, and by what you've said here, didn't get any service records on the vehicle. It may only have 72,000 miles, but its previous owner may have neglected to perform the basic maintenance it needs. Volkswagen will not pay for these repairs, and they shouldn't have to.

2001 Volkswagen Passat from North America

Summary:

My Passat is unreliable

Since I bought the car in April, I have replaced two rear door latches, the oil valve gasket cover, the electric mirror device, vacuum hoses and had numerous electrical problems. I have put $1,000 into repairs, and still my number three spark plug won't fire.

Worse yet, when I confronted the "the counselor" about an exorbitant repair estimate, he lied to me and told me that when they ordered parts, VW manufactured them just for my vehicle so they couldn't be returned. I was told it's probably the computer.

I'm so sad because I was so excited to have such a neat car, or so I thought. Now it's a money pit.

General Comments:

I will never buy a VW again.

Review Date: 6th July, 2010

2001 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4 cylinder turbo from North America

Summary:

Don't buy a VW used

I bought my Passat new, and it was reliable for the first 6 years. However, the past couple of years have been a nightmare. It's in the shop every couple of months, and it ranges from moderate to severe problems.

The check engine light appears regularly. At first it started with a couple of vacuum hoses. Then the water pump broke, coolant had to be replaced after 10,000 miles (this was supposed to last at least 50K because it is a sealed system). Now, the timing belt wore out and the cylinder head broke.

Not to mention, my local VW dealership is very expensive and shady. Every time there is a recall, I end up spending hundreds of extra dollars because "things" (i.e., waterpump) suddenly fail while in the shop.

General Comments:

It's a beautiful car and well engineered, but the problems never end, and just seem to get worse. I just junked mine.

Review Date: 27th June, 2010

27th Jun 2010, 20:35

VW hasn't made a decent car since the original Type 1 Beetle. My VW Rabbit was crap and every owner of a watercooled VW I've ever talked to says they're junk. They can be meticulously maintained and not driven in an abusive manner, and they still break all the time. They're fun to drive, but you pay for that fun in mechanical trouble. Let's put it this way, they make GM cars look good.

16th Jan 2011, 14:47

I agree with the first post about the 2001 Passat. I had the exact same problems. I stopped going to VW dealer because they were outrageously shady.

I purchased the car new and loved it. At about 50,000 miles, it never worked. Check oil light on, burning smell, replaced radiator, water pump, whole cooling system. I replaced the timing belt twice! It is supposed to last for 110,000 miles.

The fire dept. was called to extinguish my car one night at a fancy event, because so much smoke coming from under the hood.

I spent $5,000 on maintenance in the last 2 years that I had the car. When shopping for a new car, I really wanted a Passat, but that was crazy. After I traded in the Passat for a Ford Fusion, I received a recall letter from VW stating that there was an oil leak in the engine. Also, I would replace the oil, and in less than 1 month it would be empty. Do you think that 2001 Passat was a bad year/model, or are people still having issues?