2004 Volkswagen Passat 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

What a piece of crap; costs as much in maintenance as the car originally did

4 window motors.

Warped rotors twice.

Turbo replaced.

Flex pipe.

Both front axles.

Water pump.

Rattles everywhere from inside and out.

Tie rods.

Ball joints

Two speakers stopped working.

What hasn't gone bad.

General Comments:

This car is slow and gets horrible gas mileage for being a 4 banger.

I thought VW had good build quality; guess not, it has way too many rattles inside the cabin.

Horrible in snow.

Non power seats; you have to reach behind you to adjust, they only adjust a certain way; very uncomfortable!!!

So much for german engineering.

Review Date: 11th August, 2009

2004 Volkswagen Passat Athene 2.0 turbo petrol from Germany

Summary:

Great value for money

No major issues as I read in this forum... I have only had regular maintenance issues.

General Comments:

Great car in terms of the drive, comfort, looks, safety...

Review Date: 21st October, 2008

2004 Volkswagen Passat Wagon 1.8 turbo Gas from North America

Summary:

Love it and hate to get rid of it..

L.E.D information cluster not functioning properly, back seat power supply flip-out tray lasted 3 months after purchase, recently replaced oil pump and several other internal engine components that were not covered under my bumper to bumper manufacturer warranty. At this point I don't have much faith in the V.A.G group when it comes to honoring their obligation to a warranty. I purchased a 20th anniversary GTI shortly after purchasing the Passat wagon. I'm considering trading them both in on something more reliable. Both my cars have been serviced with full synthetic oil since purchase.

General Comments:

Handles great at all speeds, very quick for a wagon. Cheap on gas.

Review Date: 29th May, 2008

2004 Volkswagen Passat Highline Estate 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Outstanding

Brake wear warning light comes on intermittently (mostly when it is very cold -10 deg up in the mountains), even though there is 4/5 mm left on the pads. Not a real problem. Suspect the wear limit is set high to cover the risk of brakes wearing out without you noticing.

Slight vibration noise from engine at 1500 revs. Checked under warranty - VW didn't identify problem officially, but a mechanic mentioned he had heard something similar with a Skoda Octavia. Found to be slightly loose air intake pipes - I eventually fixed with gaffer tape. Vibration has stopped!

General Comments:

Goes like a bat out of Hell! - watch out for speed cameras !

Really luxurious on a long run and very very comfortable.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2008

3rd Feb 2008, 08:12

I think the conservative pad warning is more in the hope that you will just book your car into a VW dealer for new pads without checking them. Most people would just blindly follow the warning.

If they can get even 50% of Passat owners to replace pads with 5mm left, that's a lot of extra brake pads VW are going to sell, and a lot of easy margin for both VW's spares division, and VW dealer service departments. You and I know, 5mm is enough for an easy 5,000 miles of worry free motoring under most conditions - a lot of people wouldn't.

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T from North America

Summary:

A good alternative to Japanese models

Tiptronic would not shift down in "manual mode".

Condensation in headlamp.

General Comments:

Both problems promptly fixed by courteous dealer under warranty.

This is my second Passat (first was a 2000 V6 GLS Wagon, which was excellent apart from a failing water pump at 40K).

Beats the pants off Camrys & Accords. Build quality light years ahead of American cars.

MPG: 22 town,30 highway. Premium gas.

Review Date: 25th September, 2007

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Great car, but expensive to own and maintain

At 778 miles - Brake rotors replaced due to warping, faulty brake light switch replaced (Under Warranty)

At 3,028 miles - Right rear turn signal socket replaced, I also complained of car jerking when coming to a stop or going slow below 5 mph. Was told of a firmware update to transmission to fix it, but they were not trained on how to do it so I had to wait. (Under Warranty)

At 28,730 miles - Updated firmware on transmission- <b>One year later!!!</b> It did fix the problem. (Under Warranty)

At 43,675 miles - Brake switch replace again. Replaced Ignition switch (sticking and would not turn). (Under Warranty)

At 71,805 miles - Fuel pump failed, towed to dealership, total costs $740 dollars.

General Comments:

Window sticker on my car was $33,495. I paid $29,700 dollars for it new with very little negotiations.

The window sticker on my GLX 4motion Passat rated the MPG at 22 City and 27 Highway. I never did better than 23 mpg on trips. (Some involved 600 miles in one day). I averaged 21 mpg back and forth to work which involved 44 miles round trip with 4 stops each way for traffic signals.

Great handling car. Seats very supportive. High luxury for a car in this price range.

Acceleration was OK... 0-60 times between 8.5 and 9 seconds.

Maintenance was expensive and hard for the "do it yourself" type. Engine and oil pan covers and shrouds made it very difficult to just change the oil. In my 3 years of ownership I spent $3,700 dollars on repairs and maintenance. (includes tires at 45k)

I am 6'5" and 240 lbs. I fit in it (and it had a sunroof). I could have used an extra inch in headroom, but I like the sunroof better.

The 2004 had the Torsen center differential to send power from front to back for the AWD system. It worked well with little wheel spin. (In fact, I had to floor it with the "ESC" (Electronic Stability Control) turned off to get it to spin in the snow, then all 4 wheels would spin)

Would I buy another Passat, NO. Another VW, maybe. But I would have to really inspect it for ease of maintenance.

I did like the car, but its costs of care and repair in both time and money drove me away.

Review Date: 12th July, 2007