2004 Volkswagen Passat Highline 1.9 TDi 100 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Perfect reliability and build quality

Nothing wrong in 3 years/76,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is not my car, but a car in the fleet that I manage. It stood out as the most reliable car we have, requiring nothing other than standard servicing.

The car is a pleasure to drive, quiet and comfortable with a very high spec. The build quality is very high, and the fit and finish is pretty much perfect.

The only let down with the car is the TDi 100 engine is underpowered for a large heavy car like this. The TDi 130 would be a better choice, but the 100 was cheaper for a company to run, and provided the driver with a lower tax burden. Also, second gear seems trickier to engage then other gears.

MPG is good at 43-47, but considerably lower than the lighter Golfs that achieve 49-54 on our fleet.

The only other problem with the brand is that the local main dealer is absolutly SHOCKINGLY bad customer service. I would continue to purchase VW's for the fleet, but we will use independent VW specialists in the future.

Review Date: 18th August, 2006

6th Mar 2007, 06:22

The car is now being returned with a mileage of near 90,000.

NOTHING has ever gone wrong with the car, the build quality is solid and the car drives as new with 90,000 on the clock. There is not even the slightest amount of smoke from the exhaust, even when cold. Simply incredible!

If our budget covered it, I would replace all our fleet cars with these as they are so hassle free to run (as long as you find a good independent dealer, like we have, as our 2 local VW garages are SHOCKING in service)

6th Mar 2007, 14:22

This is great to hear! :)

2004 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 20v turbo from North America

Summary:

Very good car for grandparents

Automatic transmission was replaced twice. This is with the Triptronic.

I have almost driven most available rentals by now.

I still feel uneasy about this new transmission as I feel a thump when stopping from time to time. It only happens down shifting.

Weather strip on sunroof under rails came off the second time I opened it.

The right side fog light is out. (I will assume its life is over and that's it). Will replace at my own expense.

General Comments:

The car is good looking and interior shows quality built.

Like the color of gauges. They are easy on the eyes at night.

Interior is quite and practical.

It drives well in fair weather, snow and rain and very well on sunny days.

Brakes are strong, though, the car weight makes you press pedal significantly hard when coming to a stop downhill at 35 mph.

1.8T engine has plenty of power and is good on gas.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2006

2004 Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8 turbo from North America

Summary:

Good combination of performance, economy, and AWD

Driver center airconditioning vent broke. Replaced under warranty.

Primary airconditioning fan failed. Replaced under warranty.

Warped right front disc brake rotor.

General Comments:

Wanting good mileage, comfort, and AWD, this was my only choice. At the speed limit, I get 32 MPG with 90% highway miles. I’ve had up to 34 MPG when doing 55 to 60 MPH. The ESP and AWD work very well. During winter, I was doing the speed limit (25 mph) on an off camber curve. The late model Subaru wagon in front of me slid off the icy road and the Chevy Cavalier behind me spun out. The Passat w/Nokians held it’s line. Much better rear leg room than the Subaru Legacy Sedan. Roomy, quiet, and a great highway car. The motor is fine for the highway, but the small engine and turbo lag make it too much work for city driving. I’d probably go for the automatic or the V6 for mostly town driving. The AWD steals a noticeable amount of trunk space. The floor of the trunk is higher.

Review Date: 28th June, 2006