2005 Volkswagen Passat SE 2.0 TDI turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

My worst car in 25 years of driving

EGR valve failed £300, airbag faults, steering column lock failure £1000+, various electrical faults, central locking failure £250 etc etc...

General Comments:

This car is superb to drive and gives 50mpg+ on a run. The car has a full VW main dealer service history and is in an excellent condition. I love the look of this car.

I have to sell the car as it is simply too dear to maintain. I have only done 10000 miles over the last year, but have needed in excess of £2500 worth of repairs. The steering column fault is a common failure, which costs loads to put right, and can only be done by a main dealer for loads of money.

(If it does not go soon, I am sure that I will be caught out by clutch & DMF failure, injector failure and possibly oil pump failure; all well documented faults on the net.)

Review Date: 5th March, 2011

3rd Apr 2011, 06:45

So many common faults on this car... My 2006 2.0 TDI has had the EGR valve fail, the NSF door locking module and also the steering locking fault. Total repair cost over 10,000 miles have now been £2000 + servicing... ooouch. My car has full VW history and 90000 miles. Not sure if I should sell before the injectors fail (£500 each), the DMF fails (£1000+), the gear driven oil pump fails (£1000 - £3000) or maybe the electric hand brake fails. All common VW Passat faults.

1st Oct 2014, 21:47

The injector problem with early VAG group 2.0 TDI PD engines was especially scary. I must say that the fault is now supposedly cured, but when an injector failed, which they often did suddenly and without warning, the engine stopped. OK, this was a deliberate strategy to prevent serious engine damage as the injectors tended to fail "open", as in constantly injecting fuel into the cylinder.

But, think about it a moment, the engine STOPPED. You could be doing 90mph in the fast lane of the motorway and the engine stopped. No power steering, no brake assistance, and unless you got the clutch pedal down quickly enough, the high diesel compression rapidly bringing the car to a halt.

I would never, ever buy one of these, but please note my comments relate only to the early 2.0 TDIs. The 1.9 TDIs were a great engine.

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8 turbo AWD from North America

Summary:

An overpriced exercise in mediocrity

One of the engine coils became defective around 25,000 miles. This caused the car to cough and shudder on the highway, and felt like it was going to stall at any moment at city speeds. With the coil failure, it was running on 3 out of 4 cylinders. We brought it back to the dealer who would not fix it, because the car was out of warranty! This seemed ironic to us, as our 2001 Jetta 1.8 turbo had the exact same problem! It's funny that a big company like VW couldn't fix this problem after 4 years of building this same type of engine. Maybe they just didn't care enough.

The VW emblems on the factory optioned wheels looked like the lamination was failing, and they were stained with water marks. This also happened on our past VW - Another thing they could have fixed in 4 years!

The "stainless" steel trim on the car was cloudy and not shiny anymore. I tried polishing it, but the cloudiness wouldn't budge.

General Comments:

This was a very expensive, top of the line VW - we expected a lot more for our money.

The stereo sounded great, but it was very difficult to adjust. I miss having one knob for on/off/volume, and one knob to search stations - I guess that makes too much sense!

The back seats provide very little leg room. We should have just kept our Jetta.

The awful new car smell never went away. It always smelled terrible in that car.

The car always made funny noises related to the fan. It always made me suspicious that there was something else wrong with the car.

Review Date: 9th December, 2010

10th Dec 2010, 05:31

Owned VAG problems for more than 20 years. They didn't fix their chronic problems in the 10 years between my purchases, so I'm not surprised that the problems still persist.