2006 Volkswagen Passat Reviews - Page 3 of 5

2006 Volkswagen Passat Variant SE 3.2V6 DSG 4motion from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 3.2V6 DSG 4motion Semi-Automatic
Distance when acquired2000 kilometres
Previous carAudi A4

Summary:

Great car new, but be careful if buying used

Paintwork felt rough on delivery; dealer rectified this by applying another layer of clear coat.

Electronic parking brake sticks occasionally when engaging park into reverse mode.

Brakes turn to mush then suddenly grab when driving quickly down hills & coming up to slow down or stop. Apparently it is a fault with the ESP sensor. This does not occur when I have switched the ESP off.

DSG gearbox is slow to engage during parking manoeuvres & also at slower speeds. DSG is clonky around town, but much better out on the open roads.

Tyre pressure monitor occasionally signals even though pressures are OK.

General Comments:

Great touring car - comfortable, fast enough, easy to drive, well spec'd for the money.

Comprehensive safety features & very practical; load space close to 1700 litres.

Some cheap touches in/on the dash & doors, but they seem solid enough.

Lots of gadgets on board, but the question mark remains as to their reliability.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2007

1st Aug 2009, 10:56

Though you don't rate her performance very high, the 3.2-litre version of VW Passat B5 is a commendable performer, I think.

Since there was a video about a VW Passat V6 4motion recording 280km/h on german Autobahn in Youtube channel (this video is currently removed), her cruising speed is much higher than manufacturer quoted data. Discounting the speedometer error, her top speed would be in 265-270km/h bracket so it is astonishing for a 250hp/3189cc V6 engine.

In reality, the Passat 3.2 has a speed limiter working at around 250km/h, but with no limiter and modified V-max module she has the potential of over 260km/h (well above maker data of 246/243km/h).

12th Apr 2013, 21:06

2007 3.6 Passat 4Motion. It clocks at 5.3 seconds from 0-100 kms/hr at a maximum speed 282 kms/hr. Measured by a neighbor who works with the Highway Patrol.

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 2.0 turbo from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Semi-Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

I love it and recommend it to everyone!!!

Nothing!!!

General Comments:

I love this car! it has been extremely reliable and I love the way it drives. it rides like the day I drove it off the lot. The stereo is amazing in this car. It feels like a much more expensive car. I love the umbrella holder in the door and the refrigerated glove compartment as well as the key.

Review Date: 28th April, 2007

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6L 3.6 liter, 280 HP from North America

Engine and transmission 3.6 liter, 280 HP Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

If the hesitation problem is fixed, it is a great car

The car sometimes hesitates acceleration from a dead stop. This is a safety problem. The car is currently with the dealer a second time to repair this problem.

Passenger side headlight assembly burned out at 2700 miles.

General Comments:

Details are very nice such as the new key start system, the one touch emergency brake, the umbrella holder.

This car is the V6 Sport edition and is very well appointed and is very comfortable.

Acceleration is amazing.

Review Date: 21st November, 2006

1st Aug 2009, 10:38

Your VW Passat is 3.6-litre V6 engined version, but she is no longer available in US market. Still now, yours is the best Passat I think.

26th Nov 2011, 21:49

I think that hesitation on take off is just a VW "touch" or something. I had a 02 Passat V6 4 motion until I recently totaled it, and that's the only thing that drove me crazy about it. When I step on the gas, I want to move, it takes the VW a few seconds to actually "move". 02 was a great Passat, but the 06 and newer seem cheap inside to me, so I am hesitant to buy one of the newer ones. The 4 cyl takes off right when you step on it, but I remember the sludge problem previous 4 cylinder VW owners went through, so I am afraid to buy a 4 from them.

2006 Volkswagen Passat Sport DSG 2.0 TDI from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 TDI Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz E-Class

Summary:

Charisma without being overstated, just right with the DSG and in Sport trim.

So far so good, nothing has gone wrong with the car yet.

General Comments:

When I first picked the car up from the dealer I was immediately impressed. I initially intended to get the SE, but I am so pleased I ended up with a deal on the sport. I am also pleased I went for reflex and not the blue tint silver.

The DSG is designed for use with the steering wheel toggle switches to control the gears as it was first developed by Audi for use in motor sport. Having said this I have found the steering wheel gear controls of little use for every day driving. The transmission has worked well so far and the sport mode ads urgency and holds the gears for longer if you need the extra pace.

Extra pace, especially in town comes at a price. The 140bhp car has plenty of pace, I am glad I chose it. I coveted the 170bhp, but feared losing my licence. Now that I have experienced the 140 I feel vindicated. I reserve that kind of fun for my BMW R1200GS, which is a heap of fun at legal speeds.

I am not sure I would have been satisfied with the drive of the SE. The Sport seems to balance comfort with god grip well and keep one safely away from the title ‘boat’. I am extremely pleased with the drive of this car.

The cabin is spacious front and back, the seats could have been a tad softer. The dual zone air con is easy to use and in combination with the steering wheel controls and DSG stick just give the car all the class necessary, alternative, more expensive marques (that I have previously owned) become a style choice.

My over all impression of the car is so far, so very good. I only hope I do not need to post in the future that in the long run it did not last. It does feel as if it should.

Oh, and by the way, there is a reassess in the boot lid that helps one to close it without greasing up ones recently washed car which I only stumbled across (saw the valet guy use it). There are many thoughtful things like this around the car.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2006

14th Nov 2006, 14:32

Recesses inside the bootlid for dirt/smear free closing have been standard on a lot of non-VW cars for the last decade or more.

13th Aug 2007, 09:42

Yes, the Ford Mondeo had them in 1993.

3rd Sep 2008, 20:08

Who wants a ford though?

12th Oct 2008, 04:44

I do, what have you got?

28th Nov 2008, 14:43

Hold on a minute, is this turning into a VW and Ford ladder fight. OK lads, away you go, I will hold the coats (Skoda owner ha ha)