2003 Volkswagen Polo Sport 1.9 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An amazing car!

Broken front springs (both sides).

Front brake pads (standard wear and tear).

General Comments:

This little car is amazing. Yet it feels bigger than it is.

Economical (on an normal week, I average 55 mpg, on a motorway trip I averaged over 60).

The car has more than enough power to get you out of trouble. Very easy to be doing over a ton without realising.

Comfortable and quiet also for a diesel. Apart from a couple of rattles (taking age of car into consideration), the build quality is excellent and car has never let me down.

Review Date: 29th March, 2009

2003 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

The 2003 VW Polo is a good solid economical car without the problems

All dash lights come on while driving for about 5 seconds, thus resetting the odometer clock. The car jerks briefly during this time as if it intends to stall. Then it behaves fine for the next 30kms.

Since the last reset the airbag light is continuously on. Does it have a master module that could be faulty? Please help.

General Comments:

The car generally goes well except for the occasional resetting problem.

I`m happy with the handling, comfort and economy.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2008

23rd May 2010, 08:33

Hello!

I have the same problem with my Polo from 2002. Did you find any solution?

Thank You.

Ana.

2003 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Sluggish, low power

I purchased the car second hand in mid August.

In September the power steering went, and the pump was replaced under guarantee.

Since then the rever stay at 10 when the car is not moving, it does not return to 0.

The brakes screech if I brake suddenly. I have since found out, the brake pads need replacing.

Now this evening the EPC light comes on.

I am female and know nothing about cars.

Can the replacement of the power steering pump have caused the rever to stay at 10 instead of returning to 0, and is this the cause of the EPC light coming on?

Any info would be helpful thanks.

General Comments:

It has jerked one two separate occasions.

Sometimes it feels as if it is bouncing.

Relaible, but sluggish coming up a hill, low power.

Review Date: 20th November, 2007

22nd Nov 2007, 06:11

The polo shares a lot of components with the Skoda Fabia.

You may find the BRISKODA website forums useful as you can search for information by key words eg power steering.

Hope that help you.

27th Oct 2014, 16:57

I know this is an old review, but for anyone else reading that has this problem, it sounds like a coil pack needs changing.

2003 Volkswagen Polo SE FSI 5dr 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Engine would not idle soon after starting and could only be kept running by keeping the revs up. If it cut out it could only be kept going by running with higher revs. Fault would clear itself if left for a while (hour or two) and would seem to have gone away. This happened two or three times before I decided it had to go to my local VW dealer, and they carried out a throttle body clean under warranty, saying this was a common problem on the Polo. Seems OK now.

Exhaust Emission warning lamp came on and stayed on. Engine performance seems impaired and handbook says to take to nearest VW dealer. The previous owner (my father) eventually had a new Nox Sensor fitted under warranty in Apr 2005 after reporting the same (intermittent) fault. Car is now out of warranty, so this could get expensive.

General Comments:

Generally the car drives well and is has a good level of equipment and is well appointed for a small car. Having owned this May 2003 car for only about 4 months, and already having experienced the two reliability issues, I am beginning to become concerned that I may have a rogue 2003 car.

Review Date: 12th September, 2006

8th Oct 2006, 11:36

8th October 2005

Update on last entry regarding the loss of power. The car went into my local VW dealer after a week or so of driving around with about half power output and about 20mpg. Dealer called me later on the same morning that I had taken it in to say they had replaced No.1 Coil Pack free of charge under warranty, even though the warranty had expired nearly two months previously. Must say I was very surprised / pleased it had been done under warranty, so faith slightly restored in the brand. Watch this space.