2003 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 petrol Engine from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fantastic car, good service and satisfactory customer service..

Air-conditioning recycle unit malfunctioned.

Thermostat malfunctioned.

Rattle in dashboard.

General Comments:

The moment I bought this car I was in love with it. There is nothing that can be said about German engineering other than the fact that it is nothing less than near perfection.

Other than the problems mentioned above, which I promptly had fixed, the car has performed fantastically. The air-con recycle function problem while having been extremely annoying (the same problem occurred in my friend’s polo), I was told that this problem occurs because the mechanism that operates the flap did not reset correctly at the proper location so continued to remain open even when I tried to activate it. The mechanism was replaced and I have not had a problem since.

The thermostat problem also occurred in my friend's polo also. But this was quickly fixed by replacing the thermostat and no problems have occurred since.

The rattle in the dashboard was also willingly replaced. In Australia Volkswagen advertise that their vehicles do not rattle so they didn't have a problem fixing the issue, even if it seemed a minor point.

I get great fuel economy, especially on those long drives and I am very happy with the vehicle, in fact I am preparing to buy the new Polo Match. This model is now manufactured in either South Africa or China, I can’t remember which one now, but hopefully there will be no degradation in the quality of the manufacturing process that I have come to expect from Volkswagen.

If the new one is anything like the one I have I would seriously recommend a Polo to anyone!!

Review Date: 18th January, 2006

2003 Volkswagen Polo S 1.9SDI 1.9 S diesel from UK and Ireland

Steering pulled badly to the left.

Rear windows dropped.

Bad wind noise on both front doors\widows. Manufacturer says this is a fault which is common on this model - no solution yet available.

Wrong bushes fitted on front wheels resulting in creaking and knocking on suspension and steering still not 100% accurate. Manufacturer advises this fault exists on this model of Polo - no date yet as to when new bushes and tools will be available to remedy situation.

Seat cover stitching split.

Electric window switches do not work as they should.

General Comments:

The engine performance and fuel consumption is good.

Surprisingly quick car for a diesel if driven intelligently.

Not a car just for women!

Standard of manufacture on essential body parts, however, is bad and very troubling.

Car is only 10 months old, has spent a lot of time back at the dealer and has given problems since day one.

It is a good looking, good performance car being ruined by bad manufacturing.

Good points are spacious interior, comfort, well designed, good looking, good gearbox.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2004

12th Jan 2007, 14:59

I've had a completely different experience with this car. Simply, after 2 years nothing has gone wrong.

The car is a little slow from rest, but if driven intelligently the performance is reasonable for a car of this sort. The interior quality is impressive and the seats in particular are very supportive.

Overall a great little car.

2nd Aug 2007, 18:01

I do have a problem with the steering pulling to the left aswell, but apart from that it is a great car, economy is good, performance excellent, it does start off slow, but once going an excellent drive. I have a 1.9 TDi sport. Would highly recommend, also low on insurance.

2003 Volkswagen Polo Comfortlne 1.6 from Guatemala

Summary:

A high performance bargain

At about 10,000 the front rear wheel start making some noise, but the streets in Guatemala are pretty bad so, in its 12 000 service just fixed it, some loose nuts or something not anything out of this world.

General Comments:

The very first time a got in the car I fell in love. I choose it from several brands of its type, and the vw polo won.

This car is seriously quick and handles like it's on rails.

The car is very comfortable, its space is nice, everything is at your hands.

Fuel economy is notable on this car, I am very happy because I spend about 25 dollars a week.

Review Date: 28th February, 2004