1990 Volvo 240 Reviews - Page 3 of 8

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.0 113hp Manual
Most recent distance190500 kilometres

Summary:

It drives like a butterfly, a safe one!

When the weather was humid, the engine did not turn well. My Volvo dealership did not 'find' the problem for three years. It appeared to be an electrical device. I changed it (not too expensive) and the car runs smoothly again.

For the rest the car seems to be perfect!

General Comments:

I wanted to have a Volvo since I was a kid, but certainly NOT a 240, which I related to old people wearing hats and smoking cigars. When I saw 'my' 240GLT I knew I had been wrong the whole time. I drive it for 4 years now, it has saved my life once, and we have driven 110000kms together. I want to keep it until the day I will be wearing a hat and smoking cigars!

This car is extremely reliable, handles well and is more quiet than modern cars. Driving this car is a relaxation therapy to me.

This '90 240GLT is not turbo charged, it is never quick, but has fair accelerations and top speed. My average consumption is 9,5 litres per 100kms. This is good for the car's weight and aerodynamics. On long trips I managed to go under 8l/100kms.

One negative point: it has no ABS system. In 1990 this was no problem, but in today's traffic it is impossible to stop this car (1800 kg) as quickly as the others in front of you. Certainly not with rainy weather.

I hope to keep this car for many more years and kilometers! With this Volvo it is forever indeed!

Review Date: 18th March, 2006

9th Jun 2009, 07:05

06.06.2009: This Volvo did what it was built for, protecting us in an accident. Total loss, with only 258000 km, and still driving like the first day. Sad day! Where do I find a comparable one???

6th Jul 2010, 12:36

Well, I found and bought a 1988 240 GL 2,3 automatic with only 67.000 kms from a Volvo collector. A beauty, but slow and thirsty (50% more than my former car). I missed the sense of the butterfly so I decided to repair the old one. It has been restored and is driving as before: smooth, quickly and creating a smile!

For the next three years I will be working in Africa, so I stored my two Volvo 240s in excellent conditions and drive a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ80 instead. Not a butterfly at all.

1990 Volvo 240 DL Sedan 2.3L 4 cylinder from North America

Model year1990
Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.3L 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

An unbelievably reliable car

The driver's side seat leans considerably towards the center of the car.

The tailpipe fell off about four months ago, but I haven't done anything about it. Seems to run fine without it.

The SRS light came on once. This, quite literally, is the only thing that has gone wrong with the car that required repair.

General Comments:

This is my first car and I've owned it now for three years.

It has been just incredible in terms of reliability- I paid a pittance for it, and I haven't taken it to a mechanic in two years.

It starts every time, runs smooth, and pretty much all of its original features work with the exception of the AC.

When I bought it, the AC was not working, but I didn't notice this due to the fact that it was the middle of winter. Since then, I've become accustomed to riding with the windows open in summer. The heater has the ability to melt plastic, so the car handles the cold Michigan winters quite nicely.

The car has just under 179,000 miles on it, yet it still starts the first time every time. I've driven it from Connecticut to Seattle twice (over 3,000 miles), Connecticut to Michigan (700 miles) countless other times, and not once has it given me trouble.

The only complaint that comes to mind at the moment is the fact that it is quite horrible in snow. That said, the manual transmission helps to get the car moving (sometimes).

I've kept track of the gas mileage of the car, and it averages about 28-30 mpg in the summer, and 25 or so in the winter.

Overall, I have been incredibly impressed by this car. I will mourn when the old Volvo bites the dust- it has been so reliable, I feel guilty when I consider buying another car. I imagine that it could very well last for another 180K miles, seeing as it shows no signs of stopping (knock on wood).

I would recommend a Volvo to anyone without any reservations.

Review Date: 19th December, 2005

9th Jul 2006, 17:52

I have found my 240 wagon to be the most capable 2 wheel drive snow vehicle that I've ever owned, and better than front wheel drive. This is due the car's narrow track, and excellent rearward weight distribution (especially the wagons). With snow tires on, and a couple sand bags in the back, I will take you places no front driver would dare, believe me. A manual trans version is even better. These are excellent snow vehicles, with much more predictable handling in snow than a front driver.

15th Jan 2008, 15:16

I agree with you, my 93 is the best car I've ever driven in the snow (2 wd anyways)

22nd Sep 2008, 20:13

I drove the 240 '90 in Ohio white blizzards, DAILY, and never had a problem.. and it was out in the snow up to 30 miles a day for 4-5 hours with my sales job!

The big issue was expensive repairs.. being a 1990 it leaked oil badly and needed a head gasket ($300). My heavy coat caught on it and snapped the turn signal right off! Does this just happen to me? Repair cost: another $300.

Previous owner did not replace fuel tank.. I had to, at a cost of $750. It would still not pass emissions check so had to dump it.

I am so mourning the loss of this car.. if anyone is selling a 240 Volvo, let me know.

16th Jan 2013, 22:05

Yes, I am not sure about the snow comment, as Volvos were built for the snow and ice! Ensure you have the right tyres and weight in the boot, and yes they will go places other cars can only dream of!