1990 Volvo 240 Reviews - Page 4 of 8

1990 Volvo 240 DL Wagon 2.3 Liter L4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3 Liter L4 Automatic
Previous carVolvo 740

Summary:

I love this car and fully expect it to reach 300000 miles

Master Cylinder needed to be replaced at 154000 miles.

Brake sensor needed to be replaced at 167000 miles.

General Comments:

Wonderful car as far as reliability is concerned.

Somewhat slow on the expressway, but fun to drive on back roads.

Generally gets good gas mileage.

Very cheap to maintain.

Review Date: 19th April, 2005

1990 Volvo 240 DL 2.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.3L Automatic
Previous carSubaru GL

Summary:

Extremely safe car!

General Comments:

I owned a 90 Volvo DL 240. This car was extremely reliable. It started strong and ran great. The car I owned was purchased from a mother who only drove it to the store and back, so when I bought the car, it only had 250,000 miles on it.

As said before, the car is under powered for a teenager looking for high performance. That is not to say the car wouldn't get out and go. The car has good acceleration on the interstate. Will move right along at 95 to 100. There wasn't even any shaking at that speed.

The best thing about this car is its safety. I was driving home from school with two friends in the car. I came to a stop, and the car behind me hit me at about 40 miles per hour. None of my passengers were hurt and no doors were jammed, not even the trunk. I was hit by a Chevy Lumina (what a tank). I was even able to drive the car home safely.

I think this was the best car I will ever own.

I now own a 92 Volvo 940 turbo sedan (excellent car).

Review Date: 10th February, 2005

1990 Volvo 240 DL from North America

Previous carMercury Sable

Summary:

This car is a disgrace to Volvo's reputation

Since we bought this car in the summer of 2004:

The headlights were repaired.

The battery has been replaced. Since replacing the battery, the car still has to be jumped each time it starts.

Basic repair to make the car drivable.

There is condensation on the ceiling.

There is mold on the seats.

The vents and fans make a lot of noise.

The driver's side headlight has water in it. The water-level is the middle of the headlight.

General Comments:

This car was bought from a Volvo technician.

The car was unused by the previous owner for a year before we bought it.

This car was bought for my 17 year old sister; I drive a Mercury Sable (which I love; I am so glad that the Volvo is not mine).

I do not want her going out in this car, you never know if it will start again. In the fall she will probably be commuting to college. I do not want her breaking down on the Long Island Expressway.

If we still have this car in April, I am getting my sister jumper cables for her birthday.

The interior looked great until the mold appeared.

Review Date: 10th January, 2005

11th Jan 2005, 10:00

Hello.

The Volvo 240 is one of the very best that Volvo produced. My Father has a 1985 240GL with over 205,000 miles, and it runs great. Have a look at www.brickboard.com and they will sort out the problems with the car. You can post your car's problem and get replies in the RWD 200 section.

Having a Volvo sitting around for a year not being used, is not good for any car. I have a 1986 740GLE that I truly find excellent. Don't give up on it; with some maintenance done, it will last many years.

James.

1990 Volvo 240 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1991
Previous carVolvo 440

Summary:

Sound, reliable and safe!

Oil leak rear main seal. Replaced radiator.

General Comments:

This sedan has reliably transported my family around town and country. I have never been left by the side of the road. The reason I no longer have it is due to a serious accident whereby a large truck hit the car (Nissan Maxi-ma) behind me which thrust me into the Camry in front, 3 med/large cars where written off! I sustained minor whiplash and returned to work in a week. The 240 will never win any races, but when you have your children on board are you ever in race mode? I'm not!!! A V70 has replaced it, but gee I miss the 240 simplicity, I intended to keep this car until 500 000 km, my Volvo mechanic told me it would easily have done that. My prediction for what its worth the 240 will become a 'cult car' much like the Kombi, it exudes strength and stability a perfect car for a young one learning to drive, they are very forgiving cars and can easily take a hit.

Fashion comes at a cost! 240's don't.

Get yourself a real car :)

Review Date: 4th December, 2004

2nd Oct 2005, 08:10

Rust is not a problem in most Volvos in Australia. However, Toyotas, due to the generally poor quality of paintwork, will rust away and this is where the 2 cars differ - quality. A 20 year old Toyota is a very rare sight. In addition Toyotas don't have the style and individuality of the Volvo 240 (but that's just my subjective opinion).

JPH

22nd Feb 2009, 04:28

We talking miles or kilometres, Gopesh? My Volvo's an '82 model and has just passed the 230 000 mark (kilometres), and the most complex thing that has been replaced on it is the fuel filter. Everything else is working fine after 27 years, and when anything else was being replaced (electric stuff mostly), the mechanic kept saying 'that's original... this is original...' in disbelief.

How about you buy a Volvo... then share.

30th May 2009, 01:33