1993 Volvo 240 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Engine and transmission 2.3L Automatic
Distance when acquired190188 miles
Most recent distance205500 miles
Previous carToyota Truck

Summary:

Best car designed - period!

Nothing.

General Comments:

I love this car! It is easy to work on. It seems it was designed just for me! An American who is tired of car trouble, and needs safety, reliability, and yes, a little class for the car snobs! If you do your own work, parts are cheap on-line.

I will admit to not being impressed with Volvo dealers in my area. They keep on trying to put me in a new one. I will when Volvo revives the 240!!

Review Date: 9th December, 2010

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon non turbo from North America

Model year1993
Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission non turbo Automatic

Summary:

I am fortunate to own a Volvo!

None.

General Comments:

I am extremely fortunate to have found a Volvo such good condition. I have always liked Volvo 240 models. I recently needed to purchase a reliable commuter car for very little money. My Volvo has been faithful and reliable. It does need to be warmed up during cold winter mornings, however. I appreciate the comfort, safety, utility and reliability of my car. I consider myself very fortunate to drive such a good quality car for so little money.

Review Date: 9th December, 2004

14th Mar 2007, 07:28

I own a 1992 240 that I purchased in 1998. It has been exceptionally dependable. It's been better than I expected, considering when I purchased it already had 150k miles. The only thing I have done to the car is general maintenance. It now has 201k and all I've had to do is change the tires, belts, and replaced the front brake pads. I only paid $1,500 for it, so I expected that it would be needing something replaced, but I haven't done a thing to it. The only thing that tends to be annoying is the performance. It's very lethargic when accelerating, and it can almost be dangerous to pass another car unless you have ample time to get around them. Also, under full throttle, the sound of the engine tends to intrude into the cabin of the car. Also, when the air conditioner or heat is on, you can barely carry on a conversation in the car if the fan is on high. It is incredibly loud. Overall, though, the car is very dependable, and a perfect mode of transportation. I would recommend it highly. The only car I like more is my wife's 1995 Toyota Camry. It is about the same size car, however, it is much more refined, has better performance, and is cheaper to buy. It also has good resale, which is another thing that is very important.

1993 Volvo 240 2.3 from North America

Previous carOldsmobile Achieva

Summary:

Reliable

Nothing.

That is a tremendous endorsement considering this is my wife's car. She runs this car as if the brake and throttle were off and on switches.

General Comments:

I have been in the automobile business for 10 years prior to my present job and needed a car I could rely on to carry miss speedy and the children 125 miles a day. She had sent three domestics to their graves in one year, so I chose a known good bet.

Review Date: 11th June, 2003

24th Sep 2007, 22:40

Why did they stop? I have yet to be impressed with anything since. Call me old fashioned, but I love this tried & true design. I recently purchased a '93 basic 240 wagon 164k and runs & drives like most cars at a third the mileage. I grew up with these, my folks drove, 122's, 145's, 164's & 240's. I have been in 4 major crashes in these things from rear enders to t-boned. Not a scratch. I hope to keep mine in the family as I start one of my own. Volvo saves lives...

1993 Volvo 240 Sedan from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2000
Most recent distance119120 miles
Previous carVolvo 240 Sedan, 1989

Summary:

Boxy and reliable

Nothing has gone wrong with this car, except I must rev the engine when starting in temperatures over 90 degrees.

General Comments:

This car is awesome, nothing ever goes wrong with it, it is a shame that they have discontinued the 240 :(

Review Date: 23rd September, 2000

1993 Volvo 240 Station Wagon 2.3L straight 4 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 2.3L straight 4 Automatic

Summary:

A safe, reliable, practical car

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

Big, heavy, a bit sluggish, feels like an expensive vehicle, as it should.

Review Date: 28th June, 2000

27th Jun 2002, 13:03

I love the car. It's a 240 Wagon. 1993. I bit sluggish off the line, but you don't buy a 1993 wagon for pick-up. It has tons of room and is just about the safest car on the road. It's like a tank. Repairs are not cheap, that's the down side.

I purchased mine with 93k on it and now have 130k. It's running great, even after multiple repairs. I think you need to be into Volvos to appreciate the car. Certain people say to me "if I had to pick the last car on earth to buy, it would be your wagon." And then there are those that are crazy about them. I am crazy about mine. And plan on keeping it for years to come. It's a throwback car. Almost preppy on some level. It's boxy design I think even appeared dated when it came out. But that's what I love about the car. Slow, but sure.

1993 Volvo 240 Super Classic Kombi 2.4 Gas from Liechtenstein

Engine and transmission 2.4 Gas

Nothing yet, but I only got it 2 months ago.

General Comments:

All in all a brilliant car!

Review Date: 31st January, 1999