1987 Volvo 760 Reviews

1987 Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler Wagon from North America

Model year1987
Year of manufacture1987

Summary:

An unexpected, underrated vehicle with great potential

When purchased small things like passanger mirror doesn't heat, sunroof area is faded away, some holes in seat, etc... nothing major.

General Comments:

I won this car in summer of 2006 at an auction for $500.00. Best purchase of my life. For the year, this car has tons of features not even on most cars today (heated/power mirrors, power seats with lumbar, etc..)

It's a large car, but at the same time has an incredibly tight turning radius (passengers are always flabbergasted when I make an impossible U-turn).

It's very solid and nearly impossible to dent - I got rear ended by a car going 15MPH, and literally only have a scratch on my bumper. I also ran into a pole going about 5MPH with no visible sign of damage at all.

The paint is godly. My sunroof are has some sunfading, but the rest of the car is impeccable. It has a very nice shine in it, and the furthest thing away from cheap. I keep thinking it's lead based because of its durability.

The ride is a little rough, but at highway speeds its rather smooth. It also takes turns rather smoothly and silky.

The nearly 190HP turbo is very unexpected. When maintained well, I can get to 0-60 within 8 seconds - keep in mind this is a 20 year old, 6 ton wagon.

The brakes are also incredible. For the age, 4 wheel anti-lock ABS brakes were ahead of their time. The swedes knew what they were doing. I can stop on a dime with little to no swerving.

Gas mileage I have to admit could do better. With prices being so high, it's always painful to keep putting $20.00 every 3 days (about 19 MPG).

The car is also, and most importantly, one of the safest cars ever built.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone. The styling isn't for everyone, but if you get it in a good color (I have grey, but black looks best) it looks very fierce and demanding.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2007

1987 Volvo 760 765 Turbo 2.3L intercooled turbo from North America

Model year1987
Engine and transmission 2.3L intercooled turbo Automatic
Previous carSAAB 900

Summary:

Built like a Tank, easy to repair, fun to drive

Turbo needed replacing when I purchased car in 2005 -I knew it when I bought it. I found a rebuilt turbo on ebay for $175.00 and had my local mechanic install it ($290.00) - total repair cost- $465.00.

Engine wiring harness needed replacing when I bought the car in 2005 - again, I was aware of this problem. Bought a new upgraded harness from a Volvo-fan website for $180.00, installed it myself.

Heater core is leaking. Smells of coolant at times. A private Volvo/Saab shop quoted me $1100.00 for replacement, core itself is only around $150.00 but it is about 10 hours labor.

I'll probably do it myself over a weekend next spring.

Power seat switches don't always work.

Small oil leak from cam seal.

General Comments:

FANTASTIC automobile.

I knew what I was getting into, that's why I only paid $700.00 for the car in the shape it was in. The paint is in great shape, not a spot of rust, one small dent in the back L door, interior leather seats have NO cracks or tears. only one small dash crack (common on the older Volvo's).

To date for around $1350.00 I have a TANK that is quick and comfortable, can carry 7 passengers, and in my opinion is damn sexy!

This will be my son's first car in about a year, My daughter has an 84 240 now - I cannot think of a safer car for my children to drive than the 200 or 700 series Volvo's built from 1980-1993.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2006

1987 Volvo 760 turbo from North America

Engine and transmission turbo Automatic
Most recent distance132000 miles
Previous carVolvo 760

Summary:

A money hungry fixer upper

My electrical system has all shorted out.

The window rotors have busted and my windows are stuck down.

My car throws belts every three months.

Interior of the car is torn and ugly.

I have an oil leak that can't be fixed.

The transmission is going bad.

General Comments:

I bought this car with the impression that I was getting the best car in the world. I guess I learned my lesson on this one. The only good thing I can say is that as old as it is, it still runs (kind of).

Review Date: 7th August, 2004

18th Sep 2004, 16:58

I have a high mileage 760 that runs great. It's all in how the car was maintained. If you bought a beater sorry for your luck. Next time buyer beware and have the car checked out by a competent mechanic before you buy it. Don't buy the car that is used up.

16th Mar 2005, 10:39

You really should have done some research before buying this car. After about 30 minutes of looking at internet articles, I discovered that the 760's from 1976 to 1987 are very unreliable and have a host of inherent problems... everything from electrical issues to premature cam failure. I also discovered that the 760's made from 1988-90 are the most reliable vehicles Volvo has ever manufactured. Also, due to the bad reputation of the earlier models, they can be found at a very reasonable price. Its pretty cool when you own a $42,000 car (msrp in '90) for a couple thousand Canadian dollars.

In short, researching any major purchase properly can save you many headaches and even more money.

30th Jan 2010, 01:02

The last guy does not know what he's talking about. ONLY the V6 had the cam problem. This is a 4 cylinder. They are BULLET PROOF. They did not make 760's from 76-82.