1987 Volvo 760 GLE 6 cil-no turbo from North America

Summary:

Fell apart on me

First-my distributor died on me, the second week I had the car. After fixing that, I noticed that the transmission stopped going into 4th gear. I took the car in and found out that the electrical system was malfunctioning-$1600 to fix it. Then my lower radiator hose melted while I was driving and all the fluid poured out and the car overheated. After that everything started falling apart. 2 more hoses melted, power steering fluid seals started leaking; its basically totaled. It failed smog by a bunch, and fixing it would cost more than it is worth, so I'm just dumping the car.

Review Date: 21st July, 2004

21st Jul 2004, 20:34

Well a car with 165,000 miles on it that was made in the 80's. I'd say that's damn good! Plus it was an Automatic!

7th Aug 2004, 06:57

Hi, I also have the same car, but it's an '86, these cars are in fact good, but the both of us are stuck with one problem. Volvo 760's have a B28F engine in them which in fact isn't a Volvo engine at all, it's a Peugeot. That is why the 740 lasts longer than the 760. Mileage should not be that much of a factor, my car only had 195,000 Kilometers and it still broke down. Now if the car is in good enough shape I suggest to look for a 740's engine and replacing it. That is what I'll probably do.

1987 Volvo 760 GLE 2.8 gas 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Super safe near luxury highway cruiser

Fuel pressure regulator failed.

Power driver's seat no longer reclines.

Nivomatic struts/shocks had to be replaced with aftermarket units.

OE rear springs not compatible with aftermarket shocks, Nivomatic shocks are self levelling.

New rear springs.

Rear light clusters have troublesome connectors for the lamps, but easily rectified.

Trunk lid shocks had to be replaced.

Alternator once.

Battery twice.

Harness in behind alternator was badly corroded, replaced it.

Sunroof pops up, but doesn't slide back-wards.

A/C failed in 1994.

Rear bumper mounts corroded and only the bumper cover was holding it to the car. Seems to be a common problem, steel against aluminum, otherwise the bumper had no corrosion.

Driver's heated seat no longer heats.

OE stereo doesn't work anymore, not a big deal, just get an aftermarket.

General Comments:

Really comfortable seats.

The car does handle quite well for a large car.

6 cylinder engine is quite reliable and makes decent power.

Still has original rad, starter, ball joints, diff is solid.

Super safe car, no air bags, but built well.

No rust! This car is driven in a salty area during winters, and the original paint and body are all keeping up very well.

Very quiet interior with good tires (Michelin MX1s).

Interior trim is fragile, but has been holding up well.

Leather is top quality, seats have very little wear, still comfortable and not sagging.

Large trunk.

The body styling isn't gorgeous, but the 760 GLE has a lot of chrome trim that looks sharp, classy, looks great in black.

Review Date: 28th November, 2003

1987 Volvo 760 Intercooler 2.4 turbo from North America

Summary:

Fun and quick ride when I'm not noticing the advantage of how easy it is to work on

The ignition device in the steering column sticks.

The dash is cracked.

Electrical components in the seat adjuster do not work.

Air Mass Sensor went out.

Electric wiring in the rear end lights have worn out.

Several of the dash indicators stay on or do not work.

It leaks oil from the filter house and the pan.

The turbo needed replacement.

The moon-roof won't close.

The coolant leaks.

The thermostat shut on me...

The head gasket blew.

The Air Mass Sensor went out -- again.

I'm broke.

General Comments:

This car is the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I've never had a problem in starting it on cold Chicago days when it is in working condition.

However, the turbo on the darn thing has caused many costly problems. I also understand it was a bad year/model for its electrical make-up.

Review Date: 26th February, 2002

20th Mar 2003, 13:05

I was just wondering how much the head gasket cost to repair? I've just had my exact same year and model (and miles) diagnosed with the same problem. I've been quoted close to $1000, but as far as I can tell, the gasket is somewhere between $50 - $80 depending on where you buy it. And then I was told there is no guarantee that the engine will work afterward its been replaced. They suggested a new rebuilt engine. What was your experience? Please feel free to email me at ewammer@hotmail.com.

1987 Volvo 760 Turbo 2.3 turbo gasoline from North America

Summary:

European reliability in a quick luxurious package!

A/C compressor failed. A/C line leaks.

Driver's side seat control unit works partially. Out of five switches, only two partially work.

Fuel gauge sticks in the empty position, but shows accurate usage with a tap to the dash shield.

The seats are slightly crackled and torn.

General Comments:

European (Swedish) quality and reliability. This is the first of (2) Volvo 760's I have owned. Simply put, Volvo's are excellent.

If you have the money, get yourself a new or fairly new Volvo. These cars last forever. However, my price range allowed me to purchase this auto at approximately $3,000 in 2001 with 119,000 miles.

A few minor problems... but at this age, still well worth the purchase.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2001

18th Mar 2009, 15:34

I've owned a 1987 760 Turbo Wagon for two years (it is now 22 years old). Several major things have been replaced in the last four years, many minor things to be replaced soon. Runs wonderfully overall. Leather interior is perfect, but has a very small crack in the dash. 225k miles.